Looking for some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some advice.

Ok I figured I needed to reword this because I'm not sure if my previous post makes sense (if that could get deleted please, sorry). I'm looking to get advice on buying a shortblock, since this would be the first time I have ever done such a thing. I found one locally that looks promising but I wanted to be sure of a couple things.

Firstly I wanted to be sure that I have everything in the bottom end that I will need for a 3400/3500 hybrid. Now I'm pretty sure I know what I need, but I want to be sure that I am not missing anything. Really the only thing I need is the block and pistons (I think) because I want to get a custom camshaft and push rods. I'm thinking though that I want to take them out myself to help with installing the new stuff.

So I need the bottom end with crankshaft, pushrods and pistons and is that everything?

Also what should I check when I am there looking at it? I want to make sure nothing is wrong with it before I spend the money on it. The seller said it ran but was making noise (though mine makes a ticking noise in normal operation).

Anything else you guys can recommend for a newbie to buying engines?

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Is the engine out, can you pull the pan and check the rod bearings for damage? Next best thing would be to cut the oil filter open and look for metal. Other than that I can't think of a way to check to see if it is a good core.

Comment

Originally posted by 95Grand-Am View Post
      Is the engine out, can you pull the pan and check the rod bearings for damage? Next best thing would be to cut the oil filter open and look for metal. Other than that I can't think of a way to check to see if it is a good core.
      He was in the process of taking it out today. he told me today that he bought rod bearings thinking his were bad. Well there weren't but he had them anyway so he installed the new ones. I can when I go look at it, pull the pan and have a look.

The only problem and what makes me a bit wary is that he doesn't want to take the top end off if I'm not going to buy it. So he doesn't want to take it apart and then have me say no. I do understand though that it would be possible to sell the engine whole, and taking the time tearing it apart to have someone come and say no i don't like it would be a waste of time, I know it would bother me.

I'm really hoping this pulls through though, means I can finally start getting really deep into performance. Thanks for the advice.

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Comment

Working...
      X