2.8 upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 upgrade

i have 2.8 in jeep i am going to use for wheeling. i am not really a gm guy but it runs. the more i read on 60 degree motors the more i think i am going to keep it. i dont have cash the buy and build a 3.4 yet but i what to start rebuilding and engine for it. i have a guy that got a 2.8 he thought it ran but smoked when he pulled it. here are some ?s that i have.

what years are the best?
    what all can i do if any thing to get more from it.
    will it be worth putting a aftermarket cam in.
    and what headers do you think would work best?

http://wot-tech.com/shop for starters.
    Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
    fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

i am guessing that it is a iron head motor right ? so is it carb or tbi ?
      if it's carb you can get a edelbrock intake and holley carb to start as they will change over to a 3.4 later on headers are the same get a long tube if possible
      i would not put in a cam in the 2.8 right now if you are planing on doing a new motor down the road
      as for best years i think any iron motor after 85 got the H.O heads not sure sombody elese will anser this one for ya
      01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

Yea your looking for heads from an EFI vehicle they have slightly larger valves. But don't bother now because a 3.4L will already have them.

The stock intake is actually pretty good but a Weber carb conversion will really wake it up. Headers are great too and will even return better gas mileage along with the power. You can cam it now and it will make a difference. But if a 3.4L is in your future you may just want to wait since swapping the cam to the 3.4L will require new lifters because you should never reuse non roller lifters.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

my plan is to some day build a 3.4. so i hate to spend a lot money on the 2.8 but i do need it to run. i am going to try and buy 96 regal with a 3100 from a customer for the heads, intake, and fuel injection. but i dont think i can use the block that i have because i they no places for a cam and crank sensor right? i also think i can get 2.8 from late 80s firebird could use the 3100 heads and intake and fuel injection on the firebird 2.8?

Comment

i have another ? i cant use the 3100 in my jeep can i ? the starter i think is on the wrong side. i have automatic but i thought read some where during my search that if had a stick i could. is that right or am i just dreaming?
            also thanks for everybody help and input this is best forum i have run across. most other forums are filled with guys that are just a**holes and think they now every thing.

Comment

The FWD motor is the wrong motor. The motor mount bosses are wrong and so is the starter. The heads must be used with the EFI system so you will need to spend more money to make all that work too. That is why the 3.4L Crate or Camaro swap is the most popular. It is the easiest and cheapest.

Comment

thats what i thought. can i use the stock 3100 wiring and computer, heads, intake, on the camaro 2.8. if so i think i can get the whole car that has a running 3100 for pretty cheap. like the price of the bill they have for checking it out. i am not planning do a project like that any time soon but just planing ahead.

Comment

i dont really mine spending the extra time and money if it will make a better product in the end. i would rather put all the 3100 stuff on 3.4 but can find for under $500.00 with i dont know how many miles. that why i am hoping to stay with th 2.8.

Comment

Yes you can run the motor but the mounts and exhaust will be custom and then there is a bunch of other small things that need to be addressed. Like moving the starter to the other side of the block.

Comment

Where are you located? If you are looking for another 2.8 I have the one that I took out of my jeep when doing my 3.4 swap. I am in VA.

Comment

i am in illnios but i can get 2.8 thanks any way.
                        my plan was to use a 2.8 from a late 80s firebird with 3100 heads, intake, and fuel injection. my ? is are places for my cam and crank sensors in the later model
                        firebird 2.8s?

Comment

No. You need a 3.4L to do that.

Comment

Get a 3.4 HT long block from GM. All your accessories/intake/etc. will bolt right up, and it will drop onto your subframe without issue. Stock computer should run it as well. Part #12363230.
                            Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Working...
                            X