the v6 and the v8 whats up here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the v6 and the v8 whats up here?

OKay from everything im reading the 3.4 v6 camaro sounds like a matchbox car compared to the z28. I mean the v6 cant keep up with the v8 due to the weight differences or what? i want to turbo charge my v6 or twim turbo whichever it can support but idk. Its easy to find this stuff for the v8 but not the 6. Is it worth getting a 8 or what? the v6 is a waste of time and money? im working with 5,000 right now and i want to have something serious...whats up?

V6 owners have to be more creative then the V8 guys.. it's as simple as that.

with 5K you could build a N/A V6 that puts down about 300 WHP or do a turbo build and put down 400+ WHP.

Just spend some time searching though the forums for the following key terms..

Hybrid
    3500 heads
    camshaft selection
    headers
    turbo

and whatever else you can think of.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

forget the v8, youll drain that 5 grand in no time flat.

Comment

To put down 400HP you better have an automatic you can rebuild to V8 specs or If you have a 5 speed you will have to get a T5 rebuild kit and put some better gears in that thing. A Stock T5 will break and a stock auto will slip. Then if you drag race the thing you better put in a better rear end. But for street driving the 7.625" rear will be fine.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

awesome

okay so i want a turbo kit for this and the t5 rebuild kit... is twin turbo an option here? any links for both the t5 kit and turbo please

Comment

There are no kits. Sorry.

You going to have to build your own turbo system. The T5 parts you may be able to source for 5speeds.com

Comment

yeah there are no 6 cylinder turbo kits available, but however i did see some turbo headers for sale around here

Comment

The 3.4 in the camaros is not a well designed engine. Honestly, a camaro needs a v8. Yes you can have a quick 6 cylinder, but its gonna hurt when you get constantly walked by nearly stock ls1's and moderatly modded lt1's.

Its a muscle car, it needs a v8.
                95 Beretta- Lg8 Daily Driver
                94 Beretta z26- First ever 5-speed 3500 L body- In the works.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                  The 3.4 in the camaros is not a well designed engine. Honestly, a camaro needs a v8. Yes you can have a quick 6 cylinder, but its gonna hurt when you get constantly walked by nearly stock ls1's and moderatly modded lt1's.

Its a muscle car, it needs a v8.
                  Settle down there Barry, actually the camaro is an excellent platform for a turbo V6 provided you use the correct combination. The V8s are fast mainly because of the torque available off line which can easily be matched and exceeded with a turbo V6. They didn't become respectably fast in stock form until the switch from the old TPI design which made a best of about 245 hp and ~345 lb/ft.

The 60 degree V6 with as much as 2.2 fewer litres is nailing 200 plus hp and 220 lb/ft. Since his car is already a V6 he has two impressive turbo V6 options that will drop right in, the legendary Buick Grand National turbo 3.8L and the turbo 4.3L platform from the Syclone and Typhoon, both of which should drop right in.

An important quality of an engine swap is novelty. One of the greatest benefits to turbocharging is that you can have excellent gas mileage and smallblock chevy power at the same time.

Some say torque wins races, but the bottom line is the amount of area under the hp & torque curve and its location in the rpm range coupled with your gearing and power to weight ratio, that info is more important than the engine size because when you put those numbers next to your competitors and yours average out better than his, it doesn't matter if he has 10 more cylinders than you do, he's very likely to loose the race.

Comment

No sorry but a Turbo 3.8L or 4.3L will not "bolt right in" You would have an easier time doing a V8 swap since it was a factory option and a parts car should not be hard to find.

A turbo 3.4L hybrid with 3500 top end will put down some serious numbers and return very descent mileage. It would be a fun car and I bet no one you know or meet will have something like it. Only us car nuts on this forum dream up such craziness

Comment

"Okay from everything im reading the 3.4 v6 camaro sounds like a matchbox car compared to the z28" If you don't know anymore about cars than to ask a question like that you probably shouldn't contemplate building one!"The 3.4 in the camaros is not a well designed engine" In fact the 3.4 is a well desighed engine though in the camaro it wasn't upgrade with better heads.

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                        No sorry but a Turbo 3.8L or 4.3L will not "bolt right in" You would have an easier time doing a V8 swap since it was a factory option and a parts car should not be hard to find.

A turbo 3.4L hybrid with 3500 top end will put down some serious numbers and return very descent mileage. It would be a fun car and I bet no one you know or meet will have something like it. Only us car nuts on this forum dream up such craziness

The F-body did in the past come with a 3.8L and a turbo 3.8L in the 1989 special addition Trans AM which I do believe is the exact same engine used in the Buick and what goes in the Firebird will also go in the Camaro so the only real odd ball would be using a 4.3L which was not a production offering, however it is a V8 style platform and should mount just as easily as the 3.8L so technically speaking they should all require virtually the same effort perhaps a little less with a V6 since that's what the car is already wired for.

My perception is that he wants V8 power in a smaller package.

Comment

Yea Only the Pontiac Firebird came with the 3.8L Turbo in one year in a limited production run. But that still does not mean it will bolt in. You need to source a transmission with a BOP bellhousing which is getting harder and harder these days. The TH 200-4R was the only overdrive automatic you could get with a BOP pattern and I can't even think of a 5 or 6 speed manual that may have been offered with it. Once you pass that hurdle your only just getting started.

Comment

It's an engine swap, he doesn't have to use any of the Buick drive train, just the concept. We do it all the time here. No sense in reinventing the light bulb by using a Buick 3.8 when after the 3.4 chevy installed their own 3.8L. ECM swaps and homemade custom exhaust systems are all over this forum. It's just one of many options he can consider. The biggest expense would probably be time but the end result is usually always worth it.

Comment

Are you guys sure about the firebird 3.8 turbo ? I remember a fireird 301 v8 turbo only.

Comment

Working...
                              X