• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea it was an anniversary edition
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

What you guys are talking about is the 1989 Pontiac Firebird TTA or Turbo Trans Am. Only 1500 were built and are still fetching $10K+++. The drivetrain was a G/N short block, turbo, & exhaust system. The G/N heads were NOT used because, believe it or not, they were too wide to fit between the shock towers! Solution? Use FWD 3800 heads! And as a added bonus, the FWD heads actually flowed BETTER than the RWD heads.
      Tuning a car is full of compromises. You must decide if you are willing to give up either reliability, performance, or a whole load of cash. Also remember that repairs will seem to come up much more often as you strive for even more performance

Comment

Originally posted by X11_STE View Post
        What you guys are talking about is the 1989 Pontiac Firebird TTA or Turbo Trans Am. Only 1500 were built and are still fetching $10K+++. The drivetrain was a G/N short block, turbo, & exhaust system. The G/N heads were NOT used because, believe it or not, they were too wide to fit between the shock towers! Solution? Use FWD 3800 heads! And as a added bonus, the FWD heads actually flowed BETTER than the RWD heads.
        Now that is some good info...

i'm working on a 3.8/3800 hybrid for a buddies 84 reegal (converting to EFI) and wasn't sure if the FWD heads would work on the RWD block.

Now.. if i could work out a crankshaft trigger and a few other things i could get this project rolling.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

3800 heads DO NOT interchange with the 3.8 block. Otherwise all the 3800 guys would have been using the aftermarket aluminum 3.8 Buick head a long time ago
          Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

are all 3800s chevy? i'd keep the 3.4, I'd throw aluminum 3x00 topend on there , 10.? /1 compression, huge cam/valve springs, tune it, RWD headers, that would be way cheaper than all this swapping stuff.

Comment

3800's are based on the original Buick 3.8L but it uses the GM metric transmission bellhousing pattern. They are not Chevy or Buick there is no such thing as brand engines anymore. They are all just GM engines. Yes some are used exclusively in certain brands like the Northstar V8 but they are not built by Cadillac.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

maybe he used "bolt right in" loosely. it's like when i told my boss the 3500 would go into the malibu, he said no it won't. boy do i wanna slap him

Comment

Just steal forcedfirebirds ideas .
                  You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
                  ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
                  95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    3800 heads DO NOT interchange with the 3.8 block. Otherwise all the 3800 guys would have been using the aftermarket aluminum 3.8 Buick head a long time ago
                    ^^^ WERD.
                    and they were a buick design to begin with, but then corporate got their dirty hands on them and now they are all global design. i dont think much works from the 3.8 to the 3800 really

Comment

jerk it out & put a dohc in it-& turbo that-i figure you could take a v8 cam with that setup with only about 3500-4k (you dont have to gain nearly as much power)-160 to 210 u only have to gain 75 hp rather than 125

Comment

The 3.4 should get the 3400 top end treatment, then supercharge it with a Vortech or Powerdyne. You can turbo charge it also.

The 4.3 is essentualy a 350 with 2 less cylinders. You'll need a longer drive shaft at the least and just use a commen 350 automatic or 5spd. Using the Vortech requires costume intake manifold if going boost. The internal injector setups are a joke and fire hazard. The non-vortech heads are a real restriction. Use early 80s 229ci (underbored 4.3, essentialy a 305 with two less cylinders) heads. They have smaller valves but flow way more than the 4.3s even after porting. Plus you can use a carb for blow thrugh. Vortech can't use non vortech manifolds. You can use 350 forged pistons on a 4.3, but not the rods. But there are forged rods for the 4.3.
                        88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

brodix also makes heads for the 4.3 and GM also makes a bowtie 4.3 block...but thats all carbbed style suff...you can use the bordix heads with the TBI intake iirc, but if you want to use vortec heads, then you have to get the intake or heads machined to accept the diff angle. but dont use the 4.3. just go 3.4

Comment

F-bodys are muscle cars, and they need a v8. I really cant stand v6 muscle cars(other than gnx). There slow and the owners are usually overconfident, throwing the name camaro and firebird around like its some big authority, even though my pos beretta will take it in the quarter.

I just dont have ANY respect for v6 f-bodies, mustangs, chargers, etc...
                            95 Beretta- Lg8 Daily Driver
                            94 Beretta z26- First ever 5-speed 3500 L body- In the works.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                              F-bodys are muscle cars, and they need a v8. I really cant stand v6 muscle cars(other than gnx). There slow and the owners are usually overconfident, throwing the name camaro and firebird around like its some big authority, even though my pos beretta will take it in the quarter.

I just dont have ANY respect for v6 f-bodies, mustangs, chargers, etc...
                              F bodies are cooler then L bodies, even with a V6
                              Past Builds;
                              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                              Current Project;
                              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

fuck it kid throw a 350 in the damn thing and shut up, but do inform us when something breaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X