Engine swap...what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap...what do you think?

Instead of going nuts trying to make my v6 3.4 camaro more powerful. I have decided to just throw a V8 in it. Which engine should i go with? the standard 5.7L camaro V8? or is there a better engine out there what will fit? the 1995 CHEVY 454 / 7.4 ENGINE looks nice but will it fit?

Originally posted by 95camarov634 View Post
    Instead of going nuts trying to make my v6 3.4 camaro more powerful. I have decided to just throw a V8 in it. Which engine should i go with? the standard 5.7L camaro V8? or is there a better engine out there what will fit? the 1995 CHEVY 454 / 7.4 ENGINE looks nice but will it fit?
    I don't know how this would work for a Camaro, but I would hazard a guess it would take a lot more time and money than tinkering with the V6.

I had a 1986 Mustang 2.3L (I know it's not a Camaro, but I think this would be along the same lines) that I wanted to swap a 302 into. I started putting a parts list together and found out that it was more work than I planned. I needed to swap out the rear axle for the 8.8, buy a wiring harness, and reinforce the chassis with subframe connectors on top of buying the engine, trans and exhaust.

If you're really not happy with the 3.4L, I think you could save a lot more money and time just selling it and buying a V8 Camaro. Just my opinion though.
    1995 "Driftwood Metallic" Cutlass Ciera

Mods: K&N airfilter, Addco Front & Rear Swaybars, 2.5" cat-back exhaust w/ Hooker Aerochamber muffler.

Down the road: Cam(?), 3400 ported UIM & LIM, ported heads.

Comment

yeah

yeah i could find a v8 to buy. But the v6 i have now is in mint condition. I just dont like how it lacks power. But maybe i will sell buy the z28, but idk. If its possible to drop a v8 into my car without having to buy this buy that than im going to do it. Lets see what the people say, thanks for your opinion

Comment

well

i mean if i can turbocharge the v6 run dual exhaust and intake upgrade the fuel injectors and get some good performance power then ill do that. Would i be worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by 95camarov634 View Post
          i mean if i can turbocharge the v6 run dual exhaust and intake upgrade the fuel injectors and get some good performance power then ill do that. Would i be worth it?
          I honestly don't know how much that would cost but I would imagine it would be just as costly as the swap.

You could do less expensive things like a performance tune and high flow cats and mufflers and see what happens.

Mods: K&N airfilter, Addco Front & Rear Swaybars, 2.5" cat-back exhaust w/ Hooker Aerochamber muffler.

Comment

Pfft.. V8's are for suckers anymore..

i'm making about 20-30 more WHP then a LS1 4th gen Fbody.. with a 3.5 V6.

swapping out a V6 for a V8 in any F body requires all new motor mounts, different tranny, different computer and probably more.. a parts car would be the best thing to pick up.
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I didn't even think about the motor mounts. And I'm sure there's a whole slew of other parts you'd need. Not to mention you said the engine was in great shape, why risk it by putting in some engine from a junk yard that may or may not be whooped.

There is quite a bit you could do for under $1000.

Check this out. There's even a site for V6 owners....

http://www.firebirdv6.com/

Comment

If you going to do a V8 then don't even bother with the old junk. At the very minimum I would get a Vortec Truck engine with aluminum heads. Which is basically and LS1 with and iron block. Or go right to the LS series engines. They are just as light as the V6 and make a hell of a lot more power and will have plenty of potential in the future. But it will all come down to dollars. Keep your goals realistic.
                1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

where can i find an affordable one of those? or if i decide to keep the3.4 v6 what is the highest HP i can get from it?

Comment

Finding a full drive train from a TB SS will cost you about 10K. It's doable for a swap, but not that easy.
                    I remember helping my father back in the day putting in a PONTIAC 350 in a V6 Firebird (IIRC 2. . Boy was that a fun swap. Needed to chop in some mounts, swap bell housings, make the down pipes and have a custom drive shaft made while making a cross-member. Hauled ass when all said and done, but was not worth it. I kept telling him to boost it!
                    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

ok hear me from expirence, any motor not origionally put in a car is going to cause problems, i put a 350 in my blazer once, it was hell, expensive parts, expensive gas, it broke down alot, it wasnt worth it, use that 3.4 put aluminium heads on it, a fwd intake, 030 over pistons port it and grab a set of headers, see where that gets you

Comment

so

well i read online the specs of the car and it says 160hp full stock for the coupe. This is what i have full stock, so maybe i can throw a turbo charger in and get a good power gain?

Comment

my truck weighs more than youre car, i have the same motor with a little bit of twitch stick with the 3.4 its not bad just throw a cam at it or somethin a 350 is pretty messy

Comment

Better to tinker with what you have. Who knows if they will even be any gasoline available in a few years for your giant V-8 you spent all that time and $$$ on? Of course, I eat up all the doom and gloom of the peak oil crowd.

Comment

yeah im happy my blazer doesnt kill gas like my old c 10, i got like 80 gallons to the mile with that brick, small block chevy's dont give me a stiffy anymore, theyre just to plane, everyone and theyre mother has a small block in theyre ''race car'' street car cruiser even motorcycle small blocks suck !

Comment

Working...
                              X