Exhaust Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Bracket

Alright, on my custom 2.5" exhaust, all was good until the bolt they used for the bracket on the exhaust right under the seats started to come lose and make a rattle. I had the shop tack weld it up, and the noise stopped. Soon after though, the exhaust weld broke.

I put in poly mounts to reduce engine/exhaust movement and had them weld the crap out of the hanger right under the seats. But now when I am at idle in Drive while holding the brake, I am getting this awful rattle from under the car. If I hold my foot on the exhaust from the side of the car, it stops.

My exhaust is STIFF, it doesn't move one bit when trying to pull around on it. I think it's TOO stiff.

Would I be safe just cutting the hanger below the car and relying on the rear hanger and the hangers on the mufflers? Would be easiest...
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Is there any rubber between the mount bracket and the pipe? You should have some sort of rubber mount to allow the exhaust to move around. Not be welded solid to the car.

Also, do you have a flex pipe in the exhaust system?

My car stock had one mount on the muffler, and one right before the muffler holding the pipe (isolated with rubber). It had nothing else. Now it has those AND a muffler strap mount from a 95 beretta. But it's single exhaust.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Yes I have a flexpipe after the headers (but it doesn't really FLEX, it's mesh stainless steel and is very solid) and there are rubber hangers that are used everywhere, but it just isn't enough. Before I had the poly mounts, when I went WOT my engine would kick enough to snap the hanger welds even with the rubber on the hangers, hence why I went to poly mounts and more welding. But now it's all VERY stiff!
      SpudFiles
      Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
      Theopia
      Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
      3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Working...
      X