No announcement yet.

Wiped a couple cam lobes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is that synthetic? Stay away from that on break in. Too slippery and the lifters won't spin.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

What about the rest of the engine? I just mentioned what happened to me in the thread considering use of a dual oil filter. When my cam lobes were wiped I had metal all through the engine, enough to clog the oil filter and stop oil flow since I had plugged the oil bypass valve.
      The problem started during cam break in when an exhaust rocker nut backed off and caused popping into the intake that sounded like detonation, causing me to back off the rpm after not realizing what had happened. The cam wore out in less than 30 miles with two lobes showing the worst of the wear. I would check the other bearings for metal contamination, especially since your oil pressure had to have been affected also.

Comment

Use regular conventional oil during the break in. Change it after 1000 miles and put in a good synthetic. Be sure that you don't use the really stiff valve springs during cam break in. Probably best to use the stock springs and just drive easy for a few hundred miles and keep the rpm above 1500 rpm as much as possible for a minimum of 30 minutes. That should get you a long life cam.
        Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
        fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

We use Rotella in the race motor so that will be fine, it's recommended by our engine builder.

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Pics of cam bearings - SH290 set vs. stock GM cam bearing. Bearings install no different than stock 60* bearings, but it is advisable to gring a small slot/groove in the front of the forward most bearing for cam gear oiling. Most OE bearings have the groove/notch. IF memory serves me correctly, the oil hole should be at the 4 to 5 o'clock position when viewed from the front of the block.
            GM still makes EOS - same product, different part number. GM was going to market it under AC Delco, then changed it's mind, changed the part number, and everything got lost as far as part numbers, supply, etc. D
            Attached Files

Comment

Damn, I wish I knew that when I did my bearings... I used stock ones. Oh well.

Got Lope?
              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Ok, the SBC fill up the journal, but is the cam shaft as wide as the journal or not?
                sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

is it a have-to to cut the groov in the sbc bearig? im getting ready to rebuild my engine and thats something im thinking of looking into.
                  sigpic

Comment

from what i've read, the racing oils and diesel oils (rotella too) will be required to reduce their levels of zinc and phosphorous this year too. it's pretty much go roller or get the break in lube from GM for each oil change.
                    Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
                    fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

here.. this should help...
                      Attached Files
                      Past Builds;
                      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                      Current Project;
                      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                        Ok, the SBC fill up the journal, but is the cam shaft as wide as the journal or not?
                        Journal is as wide as the SBC bearings. I already installed mine before I found this out. In fact, the same cam bearing install/removal tool I have works on SBC and 660's.
                        Links:
                        WOT-Tech.com
                        FaceBook
                        Instagram

Comment

Working...
                        X