about rockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about rockers

ok... so when you change rockers (no cam, just rockers) your result is a valve that opens farther correct? I'd just like somebody to give me some insight on this particular valve train upgrade. thanks.

Your seat to seat duration is the same but your duration at other lifts increases because you are opening the valves quicker, and further.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

that was wonderful... please clarify; seats, other seats, etc. explain it to me like the autistic retard that I kind of am in a way sort of sometimes.

Comment

Seat to seat = valve closed, to open and closed again.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Also picture a see-saw. Now move the pivot point more to one side. The side that it is closer to would be the pushrod, and the side it is farther away from is the valve stem. Now the pushrod still moves the same distance, but because of the moved pivot point, the valve opens up more. Autistic retard, lol.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

alright... so im gonna guess that you imporove VE by making this upgrade. Seems like cool upgrade, and relatively easy. Do the pushrods need to be changed for this one?
            So far I know that there are some clearance issues, and im sure we've all recently read the post about the crane rocker failure... hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              Autistic retard, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                Your seat to seat duration is the same but your duration at other lifts increases because you are opening the valves quicker, and further.
                Correct me if I am wrong but that would only occur if the new rocker has a larger lift ratio. Such as using 1.6 : 1 rockers on a Gen 2 with stock 1.5 : 1 rockers. If you already have 1.6 : 1 ratio rockers and replace them with 1.6 : 1 full rollers then there wouldn't be any change in valve lift. The only thing to change would be that you now have roller fulcrums AND tips.

Comment

Originally posted by WrathOfSocrus View Post
                  Correct me if I am wrong but that would only occur if the new rocker has a larger lift ratio. Such as using 1.6 : 1 rockers on a Gen 2 with stock 1.5 : 1 rockers. If you already have 1.6 : 1 ratio rockers and replace them with 1.6 : 1 full rollers then there wouldn't be any change in valve lift. The only thing to change would be that you now have roller fulcrums AND tips.
                  hmm... thanks

Comment

Yeah you already have roller fulcrum rockers and all 3100/3400/3500 rockers are 1.6:1. No upgrade is out there that I know of, and the roller tip isn't going to gain you anything especially for the cost. Best to look else where.

Next mod if I was you would be headers.... Then aside from an underdrive pulley you'd have to open up the motor to do cam/port work or go with 3400 block and 3500 heads or full 3500..
                    Original L82 Longblock
                    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                      Next mod if I was you would be headers.... ..
                      your on the money there... only thing that scares me is trying to remove the bolts from the head...(crindge)

Comment

Yeah me too. Mine are a lot older and more miles than yours though! Will the S&S fit a 99+ malibu or is it 2000+ ?
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

according to this link, they fit a 3400 malibu. I of course have the lowly 3100... nothing on e-bay either... what is it again about the ported 3400 manifolds? are they worth the effort? It's so hard to find shit... you have to know somebody with pipe-bending stuff... and somebody who can weld good.
                          Last edited by IanSzgatti; 05-02-2008, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Malibu never got 3400. It got large port 3100 in late 99 and on up though. Check your downpipe and see how it looks. The newer ones it doesn't aim down it aims more backwards. The older cars cant use the headers because of this it hits the fire wall.
                            Original L82 Longblock
                            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                              Yeah you already have roller fulcrum rockers and all 3100/3400/3500 rockers are 1.6:1. No upgrade is out there that I know of, and the roller tip isn't going to gain you anything especially for the cost. Best to look else where.

Next mod if I was you would be headers.... Then aside from an underdrive pulley you'd have to open up the motor to do cam/port work or go with 3400 block and 3500 heads or full 3500..

Well, I wouldn't you wouldn't gain anything at all. Roller tip does make less friction so you have less heat and some power gain, plus after market rockers usually have a more precise ratio than a stamped steel piece so there might be some gain there. Stock rockers are heavier too so there can be some weight saved. Over all though, yeah I'd agree that the gains would be very minimal compared to the cost a trouble of switching. It would be more worth it if you could go to a 1.65:1 or 1.7:1 ratio with a stock cam.
                              '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                              '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                              13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                              Gotta love boost!

Comment

Working...
                              X