Ign. upgrade for stock 3400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ign. upgrade for stock 3400

My 2001 Impala has the 3400 engine and 173K miles on the odometer. Are there any benefits to replacing the stock coil packs with an aftermarket set? I'm also planning on installing new plugs and wires this coming spring so if there's a coil/plug/wire combo that actually makes a difference I'd definitely like to hear about it. Thanks!

Brad

none of it will help. Go oem. Most aftermarket wire sets besides MSD end up misfiring.
    Lots of mods cost lots of $$
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2598719/1

Comment

Magnecor wires are the way to go as they last forever and have the best emi/rfi suppression. Not cheap but if you plan to have the car, I wouldn't use anything else. Stock coil packs are more than sufficient and have been used on plenty of high performance/boosted 60V6s. 40k volt coil packs stock. Either regular AC delco plugs or go iridium (self cleaning and hotter spark).
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thanks for the help. I currently have a set of Autolite #606 plugs in there now (25,000 or so miles) and I just ordered a set of 8mm Magnecor wires. I've noticed that lately it sometimes takes a few seconds of starter activity for the engine to start so getting the ignition up to snuff is my first step.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
          Magnecor wires are the way to go as they last forever and have the best emi/rfi suppression. Not cheap but if you plan to have the car, I wouldn't use anything else. Stock coil packs are more than sufficient and have been used on plenty of high performance/boosted 60V6s. 40k volt coil packs stock. Either regular AC delco plugs or go iridium (self cleaning and hotter spark).
          Seriously?? I was planning on using the Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm.

Comment

They have 10mm if you want to go super thick:P Excellent customer service on top of an excellent quality product = high recommendation.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

the worlds fastest LS1 some 1800hp, uses stock gm coils.
              if that helps you

Comment

I tried a set of accel's (coils) at one point. They "felt" like they may have helped but I can't prove it and one failed in less than a year. Stock is best with GM stuff.
                1988 Fiero GT 5spd
                1999 Regal GS
                SOLD 2000 C5 Coupe M6
                RIP 1994 Beretta Z26 - M90, 3400, MSV3, 5spd

Comment

i too have the Taylor 8.2 50 ohms per foot on my Grand am. They're fine.
                  Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
                  fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Good to see another high-mileage 2001 Impala owner out there. Mine has 191,300 on the clock right now and the only thing I've done to it was change the LIM gasket and plugs and wires at 190,391. Still runs strong.

I went with Bosch wires that looked exactly like the originals and the AC plugs that were exactly the same as the originals. Hard to argue with perfection.

Comment

I have MSD coils packs and wires!
                      I love them!

Comment

How much did they set you back.

Comment

Working...
                        X