My "Little" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "Little" Project

I forgot to post this over here. My plan is to turn my 3.1 into a turbo hybrid 3.1/3100. So far so good. Ive got a lot of parts just waiting to get put on. So here is some pics to get you caught up on my project...
    What it started with...

-------------
    Had an issue with a rust hole, failed inspection, which got me here...

-------------
    I figured "Why the hell not?"...

-------------
    Soon this...

Turned into this...

-------------
    Got it on the stand...

-------------
    Took all the goodies out...

-------------
    And today I did this...

More info and pics here------->LINK

looks like its coming along nicely man!
    [SIGPIC]
    12.268@117... 11's to come!
    turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
    ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

hot stuff man, hot stuff!!! I envy your powertrain coming out the top!
      Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
      3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
      Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
      2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
      TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

dont we all.... im dreading the day i pull the fiero shell off of the cradle, that and the malibu, think the bu might be a lil worse, lol

Comment

Yeah, It was really nice being able to pull the engine/tranny out the top. Thanks for the complements. I think I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel...
          Just thought you guys would want to see what I am throwing under the hood with all the other goodies...

Comment

Originally posted by grimmcs View Post
            Yeah, It was really nice being able to pull the engine/tranny out the top. Thanks for the complements. I think I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel...
            Just thought you guys would want to see what I am throwing under the hood with all the other goodies...
            Where did you get that
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

LOL sure looks familiar!
              I hear you about rust. Mine looks great on the outside like your car but the rockers aren't doing so well... Same color about as your car too! lol
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Got sent home early from work today("Oh no, hes near overtime!!!! Send him home!!!) so I figured I would clean the mess, under the cylinders, that I made while honing. The mess first smeared and all the shavings found their way into the texture on the underside of the engine. After about 2 hours of cleaning I cant tell if the shavings are still there or if I just cleaned it that well.

I dont really want to take the chance of the shavings still being there, and slowly ruining my engine, so I now have to find a place around me that will hot tank my block...Which sucks because I wanted to have the engine mostly put together by Monday Not anywhere ready to put it back in...Just want to get some stuff put on/in the engine.
                And me putting in my posi by the time Im done isnt looking good anymore. These things are adding up and the posi might have to wait

Comment

You guys think that this will work.....

There is still some work to be done. Im going to clean it up a bit, match the TB opening to match the TB, and grind off the EGR port. But I wanted to throw it together to see it.
                  To answer a few questions before you ask them...
                  Yes, the TB dosent cover that opening at the top of the neck of the UIM. I have a plate that seals that opening, but the bolts I have are not long enough to hold the TB and plate to the UIM. So there is no problem there.
                  Yes, that is the stock TB linkage adapted to a later year shaft. A buddy of mine "mushroomed" the rod where it stuck threw the linkage. There was a tiny bit of side-to-side play, so he covered the end in JB Weld. It wouldnt have gone anywhere anyways...he just wanted to use some JB Weld.

Comment

JB Weld...nothing wrong with that! Looks like a lot of fun, though...that's for sure.
                    \"NASCAR is an integral part of my life. A part of me died when Dale Earnhardt died.\"

1997 Olds CS 4-door S/C - 183,527 miles
                    1999 Chevrolet Lumina 3100 - Wife took it at 158,340 miles
                    1989 Volvo 740GL Wagon 2.3 8v - 232,050 miles

Comment

I found a shop that builds race engines that can hot tank my engine and replace my cam bearings for $60. If I want them to replace my freeze plugs it will be a few more dollars. But, I think thats a good price and its right on my way to school

I do have a question about the freeze plugs. I know I have 1 on each side and 3 in the back of the engine, and these are 34.3mm, correct? On the website that Im looking at has 2 sizes though...7/8" and 34.3mm. Are there plugs that I am forgetting?

In this pic, where the starter bolts up, is that a little freeze plug?

Comment

whats the shop your having do the work? i need to find one around here to do some for me....

Comment

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have built numerous V8 engines for drag racing. If you have the block hot-tanked you should also wash it thoroughly with soap and water. Hot-tanks sometimes leave residue that comes from numerous cleanings in the same tank. The soap and water works better than anything else for removing grit from the cyinder walls. Of course immediately spray the cylinders with WD40 and use compressed air to get the water out of all the holes and crevices. Make double sure the holes for the main cap bolts are dry. I've actually seen cracked blocks from the main bolts compressing water.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
                            whats the shop your having do the work? i need to find one around here to do some for me....
                            The place I found is called Dunk Competition Engines. They are right off of Rt. 8, heading tward Butler.

Comment

That TB is on upside down you know that right?

nevermind I think I see why you did that, but wouldn't it be easier to try and change the way the TB cable is, but whatever works I guess.

And I'm guessing thats 3400 heads and lower intake?
                              Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 03-07-2008, 10:05 AM.

Got Lope?
                              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Working...
                              X