Non-CCC ignition upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-CCC ignition upgrades

I'm interested in upgrading my '84 S10 Blazer's ignition system. The engine's a non-computer 2.8 with a vacuum-advance distributor. Are there any high-output coils and modules available? Currently the system's still stock, with new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Thanks!

Brad

are you talking about just aftermarket STOCK replacments, or are you talking about going up to a DIS setup?

I will admit that I toyed with the idea of using the 3500 external crank position sensor setup on an older engine and then the computer to do a DIS setup in a car that didn't have DIS, but that idea never made it past HALF BAKED.

I just reread it, and I just misread. You are looking for stock replacement high end/performance stuff. Other than the aforementioned above statement, that is all I have come across, but I have not messed too much with distributor systems other than my old 1982 Dodge with a 318.
    Taylor
    1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
    1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
    "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

MSD sells a coil that is a bolt on for GM HEI remote mount coils. You can also choose to upgrade to any ignition box you want. Summit Racing now sells a very affordable unit. But it is new which means it is un tested.

I run a Crane box and it has been running non stop on my daily driver for years now. I would venture to say it has paid for itself in the 1 to 2 mpg increase in mileage I saw. Some other s-10 owners also picked up a few 10ths in the 1/4 mile. With your truck I would go for it. because the box will help compensate for rich spots in the fuel curve especially on startup where it runs really rich. It should make for nice crisp startups in the morning.

I recently installed just the MSD coil on my Trooper and just that alone really smoothed out low speed idle.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I want to upgrade the stock system, not convert to DIS. I was leafing through the new Summit catalog last night and saw the MSD coil as well as a couple others, and that's what triggered my question.

Brad

Comment

Hi there!

There are several things that you can do.

Accel sells a coil for this application. It will make a slight buzzing noise. This is considered normal. It's an arc welder of a coil -- lots of power! I've had one on my truck for probably 10 years.

If you go with this coil, get some good spiral-wound plug wires. I've used MSD, Taylor, and Accel, and they all work well. I really like the MSD 8.5mm SuperCondutors but they're spendy. I use the cut-to-fit wires, and I like that system. but I'm picky about plug wire routing. I have both used the included tool (cheesy but effective) and the MSD crimp tool (very nice!) If you're going to make up more than one set of wires, ever, and can spare the cash, splurge for the MSD crimp tool. It's worth it.

Check Accel and MSD to see if there are nicer cap/rotor sets (brass terminals). I think there is but I'm not 100% sure.

With the cap and rotor off, make sure to clean and lube the springs/weights of the mechanical advance. If the weights are sticky, that will definitely hurt performance. I don't know if a "curve kit" for a small-block V8 will fit or not.
          1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
          2006 Pontiac Solstice

Comment

On the old v8 HEI ingnition 74-mid 80's you can use a msd box to eliminate the module in the distributor as long as it is a 4 pin module, it uses the msd box as a module. You should have the same module in your distributor and just doing that makes a big difference and throw a bigger coil on there for a even bigger difference. If you do any upgrades to your ignition system keep a eye on your dist. cap you might melt the cap around the brush if this happens use the msd low resistance brush, this won't happen with just a coil or just a msd box it happens when you do both but i worth it even if you have to relpace your cap every 2 to 3 months.
            68 El camino 454 speed muncie 3.90 posi 12 bolt,
            80 Monza Spyder nasty buick 231/3.8l v6 200-4R 3.73 posi.
            60 Impala 2 door hardtop L79-327 T56 4.11 posi.
            83 wagoneer torque pig AMC 360 hydradrive (gm turbo 400 with stock sb chrysler bellhousing boltpattern) dana 20 transfer case dana 60 front GM 14 bolt rear. 401 in the wokrs
            91 Z34 now has a hm284. and belly pan in the works

Comment

Working...
            X