Should i bother porting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i bother porting?

replacing the LIM due to a crack in the T-Stat housing, my question is, should i bother porting the UIM and LIM when i'm not porting the heads? Should i only cleanup and gasket match the topside of the LIM to the UIM?

The engine is an '01 3100, LIM is from a '02 3400... which is in a '96 Grand Am. There's no cam, no head porting... just an intake and a shift kit is all that's done to it...

If you have it off and can port, why not? I ported my 3500 plenum and 3400 lower before I put it on. Just that much better transition of flow. I just did the top of the UIM of course since I didn't remove my heads. I gasket matched to the 3400 UIM gasket, and bell-mouthed the 3500 plenum.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

It's kind of hard to explain, but I ported the hell out of my UIM and LIM.

What I did was cut the whole UIM gasket right in the center of the bead of red silicone, then, I matched up the manifolds themselves.

Not sure if that was overkill or not, but in some spots, I was cutting like 1/4" off the port. haha. I also then bellmouthed the inside of the 3500 plenum.

6 big holes in there now.

It helped out the top end I think, but this is with boost... If I was you, I'd port them as best as I could. With good cutting bits, it's pretty quick work.
      11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
      10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

I wasn't totally sold on what i will be gaining from it, if anything. I was going to take any flashing out around the lower part of the LIM anyways, but wasn't sure it was worth the time/effort to gasket match the upper half of it to the plenum.... the only thing left, that i wanna do, with the car is a bigger TB and a UDP if i can locate a used one this spring...

Mars- just looking at the gasket lineup on the IM, that's ALOT of work to cut that much away lol

If i was able to do a j/y turbo (turbo on the cheap) i'd do it, but the amount of work required and then having to have the computer flashed isn't worth the investment with gas at $4.00 a gallon for regular... tho it would be fun.

thanks for the advice, i'll get to work on it

Comment

theres a FFP UDP in the for sale section right now

Comment

Mars yeah you could do that, and taper the 3400 LIM top port down from the big opening to give it more of a funnel shape. Have you looked at the 3500 UIM metal gasket? It's got huge opening, I wonder if your cut gasket is the same or less/more? Hmm.

If anything it's peace of mind so you're not thinking man I should of done that while it was off. I'll never take it off again... LOL FTW though the ports on my small port 3100 were nasty casting, like the ports on the top of the LIM were not even oval. It had all kinds of notches and odd shapes haha.
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I replaced my LIM gaskets about three months ago and I did it without thinking twice... i dont even care that my ass dyno cant pick up the difference, I just had fun doing it... and for my broke ass, thats a good thing... one day though... muha ha ha ha ha!!!

Comment

Depending on the time you can give up the car, you could pull the heads your almost there anyways. Then you could do the job right.

Comment

I could pull the heads, but i'm not sure it'd be worth going through all that hassle... i'm a big guy and hate how cramped the area is.

And not only that, we just finished rebuilding the head on my wife's Neon- interference engines suck, and it's especially worse when the UDP is stuck on the crank lol.... and we don't have a heated garage to work in, working in the in-laws garage and they want it back before the snow starts flying aswell...

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                    Have you looked at the 3500 UIM metal gasket? It's got huge opening, I wonder if your cut gasket is the same or less/more? Hmm.
                    Here's a metal gasket on top of the red silicone/paper gasket, I think Mars' would be about the same as the metal ones...

Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

Not much to be gain with more than a port /gasket match in most cases.

Comment

Quality goes a long way for porting manifolds or heads.
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Where can I obtain a set of metal UIM gaskets for the 3400? The parts store only has the plastic type. I'm porting my upper and lower intakes, so it would be nice if I could get a set.
                          1996 Beretta, 3400/5 speed, internet Tune, FFP UDP, Billet/poly mounts, ported intake manifolds, WAI, 2.5" mandrel exhaust, Borla ProXS, Intrax, KYB, poly front end kid, welded a-arms, strut, shock and sub-frame braces.

Comment

I don't know if they make a metal UIM, but they make a metal LIM gasket... Just go into a parts store and ask for the 3400 felpro metal gaskets.
                            You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
                            ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
                            95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

the metal is from a 3500. AFAIK you can't buy it separately from GM.
                              Original L82 Longblock
                              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Working...
                              X