New 3400 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 3400 Build

So by now everyone should know that I blew yet another engine(#3) on my RSM/ZSpec set up. Time for a rebuild, this time Im looking for more power.

Im keeping the block, I will be .060 over stock after I clean the block.

My heads were stock,excluding valve springs I want stage 3 heads if there's such a thing, to compliment a stage 2 or 3 radical cam.

Might go with arias Again not sure, but definitely forged pistons.

Is there a stroker kit for this engine.

All supporting mods and Everything else I have.

Im not looking for everyday drivability, but it must be practical. Nothing hybrid or experimental. Let's focus on heads and cam. And anyother engine work or parts that would suppliment the build Im looking for. That consist of a bored out 3400 s/c @ 15 psi, radical cam, aftermarket heads, 46# injectors, Ls1 MAF.

I towed my car to my house and a friend thats rebuilt many race ready 350's has ofered his cherry picker, engine hoist, and his free labor. Time is on my side this time around I'm not looking to get on the road quick. I'm looking to build the best 3400 I can. I'm done crying. I'm ready to build again.
    Last edited by john_V63400; 11-05-2007, 02:08 PM.

Glad to see you are going to learn the entire engine inside and out this time.

You say no "hybrid stuff" but a 3500 top end would lower your compression with stock dished pistons, and it's definately not experimental. Many people here have done top end swaps.

Ben does some really nice 3400 heads set up for boost if you decide to stay with a 3400 top.

While you have the engine apart and want to get some high hp from it, it's not a bad idea to use MLS head gaskets, head studs, and upgrade the rod bolts (and maybe mains). Some of this might seem overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Make sure you get a WB o2 sensor, controller, and guage this time and keep an eye on your mixture. It's better to err on the side of rich in a boosted engine.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

use the 3500 heads and lower with the 3500 heads it will drop you like a .5 point down to 9.0.1.

theres no stroker kit but i think someone said something about the 3500 crank i posted a thread about it awhile back.
      Last edited by geldartb; 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM.
      sigpic
      99 Grand Am GT
      3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
      Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
      1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
      515 515 lift 112 lsa
      15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

I would use the 3400 heads.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

No question about it, I'm using 3400 heads. Just not sure who or how im going to get a stage 3 radical cam and how, who and where do I go about getting heads that will go with them, all my heads have been stock, Ive never added such a high lift cam where my heads need to be milled. If thats even the correct terminolgy. Any advice on doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by john_V63400 View Post
            No question about it, I'm using 3400 heads. Just not sure who or how im going to get a stage 3 radical cam and how, who and where do I go about getting heads that will go with them, all my heads have been stock, Ive never added such a high lift cam where my heads need to be milled. If thats even the correct terminolgy. Any advice on doing this.
            Again: Buy a set of boost ready 3400 heads from Ben :P
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

if u want real power ditch the s/c
              [SIGPIC]
              12.268@117... 11's to come!
              turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
              ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightriderZ24 View Post
                if u want real power ditch the s/c
                x2

Turbo that thing..
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Im staying S/Charged. Ive invested too much into the RSM kit to change now. So if I buy a set of boost ready heads from ben, they will be fine for my radical cam I want.

Ben if you read this, what's the advantages of having those boost ready heads vs stock, and would I need to give you my cam specs before any Head work is done.

Comment

I believe the port job is what is the differences.
                    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

One thing I would recommend is getting 1 STOCK piston for your engine so that you cam compare it to the forged ones. That way you can be CERTAIN that the right parts are getting installed.

It is hard for me to believe that a forged piston got pierced by a valve. The piston should have chewed that valve up into a little ball, and spit it out (not really, but you get my drift).

GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY. Do as much of the work as you can yourself. DO NOT LET A MECHANIC WORK ON YOUR VEHICLE!!!!! Mechanics are fine if you can AFFORD THEM, and don't want to do any REAL work. MACHINE SHOPS ARE DIFFERENT.

A good example..... I was told by a mechanic that my 1988 Cutlass Supreme (back when it was unmodified and had the stock 2.8 ) needed $2000 worth of work. I did it all myself for only $300 in parts.

This is about learning and fun. Just try to keep the mistakes to minimal, and if you are not 100% certain, then you ask on here.
                      Taylor
                      1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                      1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                      1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                      1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                      "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Originally posted by 3100 MPFI View Post
                        One thing I would recommend is getting 1 STOCK piston for your engine so that you cam compare it to the forged ones. That way you can be CERTAIN that the right parts are getting installed.

It is hard for me to believe that a forged piston got pierced by a valve. The piston should have chewed that valve up into a little ball, and spit it out (not really, but you get my drift).

GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY. Do as much of the work as you can yourself. DO NOT LET A MECHANIC WORK ON YOUR VEHICLE!!!!! Mechanics are fine if you can AFFORD THEM, and don't want to do any REAL work. MACHINE SHOPS ARE DIFFERENT.

A good example..... I was told by a mechanic that my 1988 Cutlass Supreme (back when it was unmodified and had the stock 2.8 ) needed $2000 worth of work. I did it all myself for only $300 in parts.

This is about learning and fun. Just try to keep the mistakes to minimal, and if you are not 100% certain, then you ask on here.
                        Trust me the right part is getting installed. this time around i do want to do all the work myself.

Question Where is ben I really need his input on the heads and cam stuff

Comment

he comes and go in a drunken stupor.....

just kidding.....

Usually if he is really busy with work, he just turns off AIM. Send him a PM or something. He will get it.
                          Taylor
                          1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                          1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                          1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                          1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                          "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

At least ditch the 3400 manifold and move up to the 3500, I'm not to sure how a boosted engine would react to it, however from what I read it flows much better when the 3400 manifold.
                            2006 G6 GTP MT6
                            Vector Motorsports ECU
                            Classic Performance 2.5 Inch Exhaust
                            v6h.o. Downpipe
                            Custom Intake

Comment

nope staying 3400.

Comment

Working...
                              X