3800 Alt Pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3800 Alt Pulley

I've heard that the 3800 alt pulley will work on 3100 from your guys as well as from a few other people. My questions about this:

1) Will this actually reduce load and increase rpms like I've been told? How much of a difference does it make?

2) Are there any ill effects crated by doing this?

3) Will I need a new belt?

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Yes, the alternator pulley will fit, but I believe its the same size as ours. ZZP sells an underdrive alt. pulley that will fit a grand am 3400, so I dont see a reason why it wont fit on an alternator from a 3100. The stock belt will still work with the underdrive pulley as well. Voltage will drop slightly (zzp claims something around .2 volts) but you can solve that by running a thicker wire from the positive terminal of your alternator to the battery.
    2006 AWD TBSS 12.538 @ 106.92 1.66 60' Bolt-ons only

Comment

i know this prolly sounds idiotic, but do you have an actual picture of the pulley and did you feel anything from it?

Comment

I actually do have a picture of the pulley, and no you cant feel any gains. There arent too many "simple" mods that you can actually feel. The other day I did a WOT run with a 35 shot of nitrous, and flipped the arming switch on and off a couple of times. I could bearly tell a difference in acceleration, and it was probably only because I knew when it was on or off.
        The ZZP pulley is on the alternator, and I am holding the stock one against it for size comparison

Comment

didn't notice the engine rev's change at all? i didn't really mean did it feel like you were going faster, sorry, im an idiot with how i word things sometimes

does it have the stupid "14% underdrive" labeling on it?

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
            didn't notice the engine rev's change at all? i didn't really mean did it feel like you were going faster, sorry, im an idiot with how i word things sometimes

does it have the stupid "14% underdrive" labeling on it?
            No, I havent noticed any change at all. Its only $60 IIRC and I guess all of the small mods add up at some point. I would have to go look to see if it says that on the pulley.

Comment

i might end up getting it, kinda interested in the water pump pulley aswell and what the details on it are.... dont want to lose to much cooling ability

i already have an FFP UDP but im trying to get loss down to a minimum
              Last edited by El_Diablo; 11-02-2007, 01:24 AM.

Comment

the water pump pulley doesnt fit, its for a grand prix.

Comment

its in the ga section....?

Comment

Ah ok, sounds almost as if its really not worth it to spend time on this right now. I'll maybe looking into it later, but right now I'm saving up for top swap parts.

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Comment

3400 swap underway.. 6 days and counting down...

Sig don't work... grumble...

'97 Chevy Lumina DHP tuner, k&n, Shift kit.
                      IN PROGRESS: 3400 swap, 3,000 stall converter, 2.5" exhaust
                      Last edited by Monzsta; 11-04-2007, 06:01 PM.
                      '97 Chevy Lumina, '99 LA1, ported heads, manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, k&n filter, 180* stat, A/C delete, Ram air, 3600 FAFB converter, 4T60E shift kit, DHP Power Tuner, AEM UEGO, MegaSquirt II/Extra

1/8 mile 9.72@75 mph, 2.0 60 foot

Comment

and this has to do with the thread how?

Comment

Ah, umm.. we both drive white whales? lol!
                          '97 Chevy Lumina, '99 LA1, ported heads, manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, k&n filter, 180* stat, A/C delete, Ram air, 3600 FAFB converter, 4T60E shift kit, DHP Power Tuner, AEM UEGO, MegaSquirt II/Extra

Comment

LOL I actually forgot about this thread and missed that. I'm actually doing a 3400 TOP swap. So I'm just swapping the heads and the upper and lower intake manis as well as the TB.

I like my white 'whale' though, I don't consider it a whale really though. These cars handle better than some small cars I have driven IMHO. I like them too because for me, this thing is unique, no one in my area touches Luminas.

Comment

Mine's strictly a beater. It has a serious paint delamination going on and I got it for almost nothing.

Why not swap the whole thing? I got my 3400 from Pull-A-Part, it was half hanging out of a 99 Grand Am. The only thing missing was the t/b. 1 hour later it was in the trunk of my Lumina headed home for $150.

Comment

Working...
                              X