Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold outside - Exhaust smoke - More than noramal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold outside - Exhaust smoke - More than noramal?

Any of you guys with modified cars and straight through exhausts (no cats either) ever experience a bit more than "normal" smoke from the exhaust when it's cold out?

It's been getting colder here, this morning I could have swore I saw a bit of smoke come from my exhaust while sitting at the stoplight. That afternoon looked at idle nothing. Tonight (cold out again) I looked behind and there is a steady stream of white exhaust, not real bad but a bit more than you would see on say my moms Buick. Smelled it, just smells like raw exhaust.

Ideas? Do I worry too much?
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

It's just steam....don't sweat it. As long as it's not bluish white, then no worries.

Comment

yeah... but does your moms buick have a cammed 3500 with headers and a straight exhaust?

Comment

Don't worry about it, its just condensation. My Camaro does it too when its warming up in the mornings when its cool.
        00 Grand Prix GTP Daytona

Comment

What if it continues to do it even after the engine is warm?
          SpudFiles
          Theopia
          Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

When its cold out, itll always do this. Heres an example of why. In winter time you know how you ca see your breath?! Well its the same principle. Your breath is warmer than the outside air and so is the exhaust from the car. Thus you can see the exhaust as opposed to not seeing it in the summer.
            sigpic
            1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
            3400/Getrag 284 5spd
            1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
            350/NV3500 5spd
            2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

It's just the water in the gas and in the air being sucked in.
              1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Yeah, nothing to worry about there. My car does it all the time when it's cold out. I'm under the impression the amount of steam present on any given day may be accentuated by 1) relative humidity and 2) A cotton air filter (perhaps the material makes it easier for moisture to run through the system escaping as steam)? It seems to me all the 'modified' cars around here release steam when it's cold out, so the theory holds up in my mind at least
                Last edited by Spankdamonkey; 10-17-2007, 11:12 PM.

Comment

my T/A was doing it yesterday.. but my Z24 smokes when it's warm out.. hard to tell the diff
                  Past Builds;
                  1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                  1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                  Current Project;
                  1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

you do worry way to much.... not trying to be an ass but i still cant believe theres a thread about this... kinda funny, is it your first year in a cold climate?

Comment

No, I know exactly what it is and I've seen it plenty, just never on a modified car. The steam is excessive compared to stock cars, so I wanted to ensure it was normal.

I have to worry, this is still my baby I've never done a project like this before so I question everything
                      SpudFiles
                      Theopia
                      Enjoy life online.

Comment

well you have to realize you've changed the whole flow rate of the engine, it now moves more air and at a greater heat range most likely if you've gotten into tuning it at all so the water intake is going to be much greater

Comment

It's excessive because you don't have a cat or a restrictive muffler to catch all the droplets. Plus when you first start it up it will be rich and you will see the raw fuel coming out the back. Especially if the tune isn't 100% dead on.
                          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
                          X