Turbo upgrade for 3400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo upgrade for 3400

I have a turbo grand prix with 3400 topend and 30lb injectors, can anyone tell which garrett t3/t4 should make the best power? Im only trying to run 15 pounds and the cars an automatic by the way. Do you think forged pistons would be manditory w/ only 15 pounds? If anyones got ideas or good deals on turbos, fill me in.

id be highly considering forged pistons at 15psi.

a t3/t4 is kind of small, most guys here run a t04e. i calculate perfect for my 2.8 is a t04e 57 tim, you may want to go with a 60 trim on a larger motor.

Comment

im running a te-44r next year.
      '86 Grand National

Comment

im trying to get my head on straight with these turbos... isnt a t04e a hybrid t3/t4? My car right now has an original t25 which i have to admit kicks butt for being so small...How big is a t25 compared to a t3/t4 57 trim? Is a t3/t4 60 trm a t04? How is my buddy running a gt30 on his civic( runs 11s) Isnt that turbo too big for a 4 banger? All turbo kids i know have 4 bangers so i cant really get much help from them...not to mention none of them do the work themself. Also how does a gt30 or 35 compare to the T04e? Thanks alot guys, and yea i think ill get the pistons... Anywhere make titanium valves for a 3400 head?

Comment

i know theres a few guys running 60trims on full 3400 that are doing quite well..i have one here ill be running on my 3400/3500 hybrid
          1994 Chevy Corsica. Parted out. Just a rotting shell now
          Best 1/4mile ET - 12.9
          Best 1/4mile MPH - 111
          1997 Ford Ranger Splash
          Daily Driver

Comment

T25's are tiny. They're also known as the T too small by the DSM guys. They're great for stock small displacement motors though. The GT30 series is equivalent in size or a bit larger than most T3/T4's. A T3/T4 uses a T3 turbine with a T4 compressor. A T04E uses a T04E compressor and a T4 turbine. As far as size and power, T6>T4>T3>T2X. The 60 trim T3/T4 hybrid is like a GT30R. The GT35R is more like a 60-1 T4. Either would work well.

Tim
            1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
            325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

The T3 wouldn't be a bad option for space conservation. Specify the power level you want to achieve and then match the turbo to it. The T3 should be fine up to 300 hp with a .60 compressor and .82 turbine housing and probably a lot more by moving up in T3 stages where the turbine wheel pitch and housing is optimized for higher flow. If you're not worried about the space savings then the next size up is in order however you will not have the same bottom end experience you have now which manufactures deliberately undersize the turbos for, unless you up your torque converter stall.

I'm guessing you plan on using a diode to reach 15 psi because that level of boost is not available in the TGP chip code, 1.9 bar is the apparent max and I was looking through the code last night and found a max boost allowed table before fuel cut to be about 10.6 psi, although the spark table goes all the way up to 190 Kpa. I'm not sure what to say about that.

Are you planning to upgrade the transmission? I know it's not the same as the 3 speed auto but it's a GM tranny and not much newer than the 3 speeds I was burning up with turbocharging and just over 200 hp. 3 rd gear would wear out in no time even on a fresh rebuild and I believe in your case 4th gear would be a trouble spot from what I recall when I rebuilt a few autos.

Comment

60-1 will be perfect. .63 exhaust is what i would go for as far as streetable. a .82 will be laggy. 60-1 is a nice turbo with a huge compressor and spools fast...
                [SIGPIC]
                12.268@117... 11's to come!
                turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightriderZ24 View Post
                  60-1 will be perfect. .63 exhaust is what i would go for as far as streetable. a .82 will be laggy. 60-1 is a nice turbo with a huge compressor and spools fast...
                  You'll have to be specific as to what series turbo you are refering to, in the turbo calc I used for the 3.1L even a .82 T3 stage I turbine housing falls considerably short of the boost level he wants. .82 will put him at 300 hp well before he reaches 15 psi, so .63 in a T3 at least is still to small though much better than the T25. I ran that T3 combo on my turbo 3100 and it was just enough for 10 psi above 5000 rpm.
                  In turbo calc it shows a 1.06 turbine housing for the boost range he is seeking unless he plans to keep his rpm below 5000.

Comment

alright sounds like that civics gonna be toast next spring...i guess a 60-1 it is. Midnight Z, that video has been motivating me for MONTHS , i want that car! Will the 60-1 spool right with an automatic or doesnt matter? Im getting a slightly different cam and keeping the TC. Thanks a lot to everyone for helping, its great to get help from people who actually know what can be done with these motors...

Comment

I have no practical expirence with turbos but a 1.06 sounds huge an even an .82 sounds laggy. I've been looking at a T3/T04E and T3/60-1 both have .63 ar turbines [for 3.4 w/3400 topend] could I be that far off ? Z24 what are you using ?

Comment

Originally posted by ezrollin View Post
                        I have no practical expirence with turbos but a 1.06 sounds huge an even an .82 sounds laggy. I've been looking at a T3/T04E and T3/60-1 both have .63 ar turbines [for 3.4 w/3400 topend] could I be that far off ? Z24 what are you using ?
                        The numbers are ratios so although they maybe the same across different turbos the actual flow will be different since for example a .63 turbine housing on a T25 turbo like the one on the TGP is smaller than a .63 turbine housing on a T3, likewise the larger turbo will flow more exhaust, you have to keep the boost level in harmony with the exhaust flow capability.

You will also need to take into considerartion your performance mods as well in which case a cam that will decrease your bottom end wil add to any potential turbo lag. Fortunately in an automatic car you can bump the stall speed up with a convertor change. The Turbo Pontiac Sunbird 2.0L used a T25 with a .63 housing, I believe the housing on a stock TGP is around .8 something however, it is still to small for the application.

You can't go by the turbo numbers alone, you have to look at turbo maps for your boost level and exhaust flow level to get a better understanding.

Take a look at this turbo setup:

That one is no longer available, it was a nice example of a stock turbocharged 3400 in a Grand Am

Here is their site:

The Ford 2.4L turbo cars used the .60/.63 T3 so a .82 housing is hardly to big for an engine with one extra litre and probably considerably better efficiency than those 80s model engines.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2007, 04:36 PM.

Comment

OK,I understand that a t4 .63 ar will flow more than a t3 .63 ar but I havent found any kind of info like the maps for compressors. Looking at the maps it looks like a to4e 60 or 60-1 compressor would be great for a 3400 engine but have no way of comparing turbines.

Comment

At ARJ Landscape, we specialize in making ordinary backyards extraordinary. Are you dreaming of a new paver patio, outdoor kitchen, outdoor fireplace or fire pit? We are the best landscaping & landscape design company in Columbus, Sunbury, Worthington, Westerville and Powell, OH.

Comment

what about this turbo, it looks like it will fit my downpipe. say .48 turbine tho?

Comment

Working...
                              X