Hard Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Start?

For some reason my 3500 is hard to start sometimes. Many times I will turn the key and it will crank 2 or 3 times and start just fine (idle just fine). However sometimes I will crank it 2 or 3 times, it will start, then the RPM's will fall low and it will just die.

When this happens sometimes I can catch it before it totally dies, just a tiny bit of gas when I first start it and it will idle fine.

Any ideas? Just kind of annoying, having to gas the car to get it to start... like I have a carb or something.
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Perhaps the initial fuel squirt isn't enough?? Are you letting fuel pressure build up in the rails a few seconds before starting?
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Are you letting fuel pressure build up in the rails a few seconds before starting?
      No I am not, I'll give that a shot... see if it changes anything.
      SpudFiles
      Theopia
      Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

on my 3100, that happened to me 2 times the other day, and now its fine.

Comment

Well I have been letting it sit for a few moments after turning the key, and it doesn't do it!

Why doesn't pressure build fast enough?
          SpudFiles
          Theopia
          Enjoy life online.

Comment

It may be loosing pressure after sitting and the fuel drains back down the line a bit... IIRC my car even after sitting for a long time will have some pressure in the rails. Maybe yours is draining back down or an injector is leaking sitting there getting air in the rail???

Since you have a cam it may be a bit harder to start that most cars and its just more sensitive to it... I know mine if I don't let it prime the rails a sec or two sometimes it takes more cranks to fire off. If they are primed just a bump of the starter and off it goes.
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Well nevermind fuel isn't it, it just happened again when leaving to go back to work.
              SpudFiles
              Theopia
              Enjoy life online.

Comment

LOL damn oh well.
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

my issue is intermittent also. sometimes it just perks right on, other times it sounds a bit tired.... .

Comment

Check your fuel pressure regulator. This happened to my 3400 quite often until I tracked down the FPR being bad.

Comment

where is the FPR?

Comment

Working...
                      X