carb to mpfi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb to mpfi

I have a carburated 2.8 iron head, stroked to 3.1 it is in a Mazda B2000 pick up, I am thinking of upgrading to mpfi. I have a complete intake from a 89 Camero if I can find a wiring harness and computer for this car it should be an easy upgrade. The question I have is did the Camero have a crank sensor? where was it located and will it bolt on to my 2.8 block? My second thought was a wiring harness and computer from a FWD with a 3.1 I know where I can get one easily, but same question where is the crank sensor located and will it bolt on to my 2.8? Would there be any issues using the fwd harness on the rwd intake ( injectors, tps,etc)
    Thanks for the help!
    Rick
    Where ever you go.... There you are. (Buckaroo Banzai 1984)

No the crank sensor in the 2.8/3.1 FWD's are on the crank, in the center journal.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...k/100_2921.jpg

If you are using a RWD block, then you can use a distributor, and a 7730 or 749 ECM. The 7730 uses a MAP sensor, and the 749 uses a MAF. I am dumping my 7730 ECM, and MAP sensor in favor of a standalone ECM called MegaSquirt. If you need the ECM and MAP sensor, send me a PM, I won't need them anymore, but unfortunately I need the harness to adapt to the new ECM.

Also, what heads did you use? The carb heads have smaller valves than the later MPFI heads did.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

the 749 you are reffering to, is it a 7749??? thats what was used on the scyclone/typhoon turbo 4.3 and sunbird/grand am turbo 2.0l. they do not use a maf, they both run a 2 bar map.

your motor wont have a crank sensor. 60 degree v6 primary crank sesor was used for the dis ignition, and it was fed to the dis coil module, and then sent a signal wire to the ecm. with the mpfi distributor, it sends the tach signal to the computer, and the computer sends a signal back to controll timing

for your swap, it would be best to find a rwd mpfi wiring harness (camaro/firebird). you will also need the hei small cap distributor. it will all bolt on, you will just need a high pressure fuel system and your good to go.

ill also second the megasquirt. im running one on my car with good luck. basicly its a full stand alone computer. it costs between $100-$500 depending on what route you go. this would also allow you to custom make your own wiring harness for your truck.

Comment

The heads came out of the 89 camero, the harness was chopped up so I didn't bother with it. The carb setup is working OK for me for now just planning ahead and starting to gather goodies for the mpfi upgrade. Nothing is written in stone gathering info and parts for now. I'm thinking the camero harness and computer may be the way to go. So you are saying the camero didn't use a crank sensor? I can see that now because it has a distributor and the fwd's had DIS.That helps!
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sharkey View Post
          the 749 you are reffering to, is it a 7749??? thats what was used on the scyclone/typhoon turbo 4.3 and sunbird/grand am turbo 2.0l. they do not use a maf, they both run a 2 bar map.
          Is it the 7165? Sorry if I miss informed. I was just trying to explain the couple of different options. Just have to get the corrisponding sensor (MAF/MAP).
          Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

I checked out the mega squirt web site, looks like it might be a cool option. I may still look for the Camero or firebird harness so that I have the correct plugs for injectors, tps and such.

Comment

Originally posted by lampy View Post
              I checked out the mega squirt web site, looks like it might be a cool option. I may still look for the Camero or firebird harness so that I have the correct plugs for injectors, tps and such.
              The TPS in the GM MPFI's have a stepper type sensor, and the MS1 doesn't support it. To compensate, get MS2, or convert the IAC to PWM type found on Ford's (or use a EGR valve), all this info can be found there as well.

Are you planning to use it as a piggyback, or full standalone controlling spark as well?
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

Was planning to use the megasquirt as the only ecm, beyond that I have no idea just found out about megasquirt from you guys.Not sure what version to use 2.2 or 3 I haven't researched it enough.The simpler the beter, so probably no spark control just fuel.

Comment

http://www.megasquirt.info/
                  Start here.
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

you will need to run a small cap hei distributor to clear the intake, meaning an electronic hei that needs computer input. the megasquirt 2 is what you need. the version 2.2 or 3.0 reffers to the actualy circuit board, all megasquirt 2's are the version 3.0 pcb. realy its not hard to wire in the stepper iac and ignition module, and that stuff is straight forward to tune.

Comment

Working...
                    X