Pressed on lobes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressed on lobes?

I've had a few emails to Delta Cams about regrinding my flat tappet cam. 94 Z24 3.1MPFI VinT. They are telling me that that cam has pressed on lobes. thought only the newer roller cams had those. isn't it a bad idea to have pressed lobes on a flat tappet cam? looking for verification.
    Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
    fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

I am not aware of any flat tappet pressed on lobe cams.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Agreed. They are cast cores.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Wouldn't a cam from another 60* work? MPFI doesn't have a timing lobe to worry about like the SFI's. This way, you can just order a cam made for a different year/model I'm getting ready to call them again for the cam in my new motor...

Also, I think they only charge like $30 more for a new grind.
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

can a pressed on lobe cam be reground?

cody

Comment

no it can't.

i'd figure a shop that deals with cams with all the info they need should know if that cam has pressed lobes or not. the only thing i can think of is that they are thinking i have the 3100--even though i told them i had the flat tappet 3.1 vin T.
            Andy

sigpic

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Originally posted by torq455 View Post
              no it can't.
              Uh, sure it can. There are several people on the site running reground 3x00 cams that are pressed on lobes. I was one of them until I switched to my 3400. And then I send the cam the CNCguy, and I'm pretty sure he is running it in either his current engine or his one that he is building. For awhile, no cam manufacturer would touch a pressed on lobe cam, but in the past 3-4 years, almost all of them have started doing regrinds on them.
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

either i was misinformed by Delta Cams or they just don't touch pressed lobed cams.
                Andy

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by torq455 View Post
                  either i was misinformed by Delta Cams or they just don't touch pressed lobed cams.
                  Call again, and order a cam for a 1990 Firebird 3.1. It should bolt right in. My last cam was $100 delivered including lifters (regrind), and $125 if I wanted a new one (with lifters).
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

Thats not that great of a deal. You can buy a new cam and lifter kit from GM for $116 and thats Canadian dollars. The grind is the same as a Crane 260 cam. I though Delta cams was really cheep.

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                      Thats not that great of a deal. You can buy a new cam and lifter kit from GM for $116 and thats Canadian dollars. The grind is the same as a Crane 260 cam. I though Delta cams was really cheep.
                      Is that delivered? GM Parts Direct charges you shipping on top of the catalog prices. I looked at new 3400 pistons, and they wanted $40 for shipping on top of the $259 for the jugs.
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

Comment

Dealership man. GM Performance Parts sells in a competitive market so everything is priced accordingly. If you are buying OEM parts then your going to pay a premium unless you know someone.

Comment

Thanx for the good info!
                          Links:
                          WOT-Tech.com
                          FaceBook
                          Instagram

Comment

not big enough!!
                            Andy

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X