No announcement yet.

45 mph in first gear....01 grand am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess depending on the vehicle, but my monte will hit 45 in 1st, and then shift automatically, even if i manually put it in 1st., Good safety feature so i dont grenade the tranny, or motor.

Comment

Originally posted by 06LT3 View Post
      I guess depending on the vehicle, but my monte will hit 45 in 1st, and then shift automatically, even if i manually put it in 1st., Good safety feature so i dont grenade the tranny, or motor.
      Yeah, with the car in 1st you'll bounce off of the rev limiter and you won't shift out of 1st unless you stay on the gas.

Comment

of caorse it feels soft, thats what the general public wants. people dont want to feel the transmission shift, thats why we have slimy shifting transmissions. with a simple pcm flash it firms up the shifts and that in itself will greatly increase the reliability of the transmission.

Comment

WoW. i cant believe no one whipped out the B.S. flag on this one. Mr 3400, you know nothing about engines, tuning, nothing. Thats all good and well, but your pretending like you do. You know why transmissions are soggy from the factory, but that seems its as far as it goes. I was going to go through and point out my proof... But its not worth it. You yanked your engine, threw in pistons, a "valve train", a blower. And kept the stock trans. Didn't tune it. Didn't tune the car..... Now you care about if you can take it to 45 mph in first gear, which what you should be concerned about is tuning your setup. i.e. shift points, etc. *sigh*

p.s. sorry to dig up an old-ish post, but it bothered me too much to ignore.

Comment

I dont have the money to change my tranny right now, I'll buy a stronger rebuilt one from milzy's when I blow up mine. I never claimed to know how to tune, Im learning. I have HP tuners VCM suite, just got it a month ago. BTW I have almost every performance part available for the 01 GAGT, I love my car. I'm 20 and building engines is becoming a passion for me. First I paid for them to get fixed now Im learning to do it my self. It's my hobby and I like it, who are you to knock me. BTW take a look at my car......it's nicer than anything you have..... right down to the flawless Glasurit paint job, S/C, Leather interior, Bad ass perfectly fitted body kit, oh dont forget my baer Big brake kit, oh and the 19 inch wheels, and my complete Soundstream audio system, and my 8 inch in dash Pioneer DVD/NAV/FM/MP3 player, must I go on. Hater!!

And thats what you get when your a True enthusiast, Something breaks from lack of knowledge i learn then make it better, worked out pretty good for me.

Comment

According to my calculations, 45 MPH with the 4T45E would occur at 6100 RPM, 49 MPH at 6600 RPM and 52 MPH at 7000 RPM. Assuming a 2.95 first gear ratio and a 3.29 FDR.

Comment

thanks for the info, I have my car shifting at a stock shift points right now, I sent my blower to be rebuilt with better abec bearings.

Comment

Many of these guys are talking OBD1 stuff john and have no idea what you are talking about. The OBD2 computer controls the transmission more than the OBD1 computers did (which still had vacuum shifting like my '97 GP with the 4T60E). The OBD2 pcm shifts the trans by both MPH and by RPM depending on your throttle position. At part throttle it uses MPH and at wot it uses engine rpm. You have to adjust your desired mph for upshifts and downshifts at less than wot and you also need to adjust the desired throttle amounts for upshifting and downshifting. For wot you need to set the desired rpm shift point, but remember to make it 200-300rpm less than your redline because there is some shift delay and slippage between shifts and your engine will over-rev and the shifts will seem to hang. Something else to think of is the fact the 4T45E is only rated for shifting at 6500 rpm max engine speed. This has less to do with the clutch capacity than it does with the hydraulics (valve body etc) at that speed and fluid pressure. The faster you spin it the less it will want to shift. If you are past your engine's peak power at 6500 rpm, you may actually shift faster and harder by shifting at a lower rpm.
                  '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                  '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                  13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                  Gotta love boost!

Comment

wow thanks so much exactly what I needed to know. Now if you were the one knocking me, I'd believe being that your very good at what you do.
                    I also did noticed i had to change my shifts a little bit before the max redline. I got a chance to mess around with my shifts and line pressure before I sent my SC in. I had it shifting at 6300 @43mph. It felt ok, the power was there, but the shift didnt seem good. Soon as it shifted it threw me in the other lane from torque steer. It was a long shift sloppy shift too, i think i need to higher the line preasure a bit to firm the shift. Its also nice to know the max rpm for the tranny, thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X