No announcement yet.

45 mph in first gear....01 grand am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont see any good coming out of this. You ever seen a piston blow out of an engine? I have. It ain't pretty.

Comment

so have i, but he isnt gonna do it at 6600rpm. the stock rods are good till 7000rpm, and he has forged pistoins. the only thing id be worried about is valve float or colapsing a lifter.

dont hesitate to rev it out like that, your not gonna damage anything with a built up motor like that, aside from mabey burning up a tranny. the 4t45e isnt very strong and doesnt like that sort of power put to it, weather its shifting at stock shift points or not.

Comment

i dont know if the tranny is the same but on my 2000 MC with 3400 i shift at just over 50 mph with stock shift points.

Comment

my 2000 3400 alero shifts @ 6000 1-2 & 2-3 anytime when at WOT.

Comment

Wow 50 mph what rpm r u at at shift point

Comment

The MC meaning monte carlo? no, it has the 4T60E. little different gearing and tire size.
              Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
              fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

oh ok but still I heard that tranny is alittle weaker than mine.

Comment

the 45E is rated at max gearbox torque 325 ft/lbs, and the 60E is 390 ft/lbs. the 60E was put in bigger cars so it has to handle the same power output and a bigger GVWR.
                  Andy

sigpic

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

so if I wanted to could I just throw the 4t60 in my GA GT when I burn up stock tranny. Will the 4t60 just drop in?

Comment

not even close. im not even sure if a 4t60e (if your doing the swap, may as well go 4t65e) would physically fit in a grand am. if i were you, id just swap a 5 speed. its not an easy swap, but it is doable

Comment

Originally posted by torq455 View Post
                        The MC meaning monte carlo? no, it has the 4T60E. little different gearing and tire size.
                        2000+ MC's (Monte Carlos) have the 4t65e. My 2004 MC LS has the 2.86 FDR

For the record, my car shifts at about 50-55 (1-2) and at about 90-95 (2-3)

Last edited by whitelightnin04MC; 07-08-2007, 01:07 PM.

Comment

The 4T60/65-E will fit in the 99+ grand ams. Custom work needs to be done though like mounts and axles.

It's odd that GM put the 4T45-E in the heavier 99+ GA's when they were using the 4T60-E's in the previous generation.
                          1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

they built the 4t45e to be in the midsize v6 cars, and as a transmission tech, i have to say they did do a great job with what it was built for. in 4 years ive only seen a handfull of 4t40/45e, and i can only think of one grand am. its when the engines are modified, they just dont stand up very well.

Comment

i shift at about 5500

Comment

ive heard the 45's are having problems holding up to the V6's. i have test driven a 02 GAGT 82K miles, and an Alero 57K miles that were slipping on the 1-2 shift. from what i understand, there should be more line pressure to prevent that 1-2 slippage when the clutches are good and keep them from wearing out. My GASE felt way soft from 1-2 stock. Milzy flashed my PCM and it's great!
                                Andy

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X