No announcement yet.

3500 top-end in 95 f-body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not sure what it would do in an NA setup. I can't simulate it till I have the flow numbers and final min port area.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      I put a deposit on the 3500 uper end, if I get it before someone answers your question, I will gladly take pics/measurements for you. I need to complete the sale of my turbo pipes to pay for them, so I guess I have a complete extra 3400 upper . I thought I was going to stay with a 3.1, but got a good deal on a 3.4 and will be able to take advantage of the fact that the block is setup for DIS (instead of MORE fabrication,lol).
      You know, I would really love to see some dyno numbers on a 3.4/3500 hybrid. Russel's 3.4 made 170rwhp when he had just basic mods and a 3100 top end. That's just about what stock 3500s make. Apparently this is because the RWD 3.4 came with a more aggressive stock cam than the FWD 3400. Not too shabby if you ask me. So if the 3500 top end flows as good as I've read, I don't see why the 3.4 couldn't make at least another 10-20hp on top of that, especially if it was ported. An aftermarket cam and turbo on top of that is looking at some serious power.

Now I know what you guys mean by GM "downgrading" to 90* engines. A swapped over FWD top end would have resulted in an engine with at least the same amount of power. Plus, it would have been lighter. Instead they converted an entire Buick engine to RWD. 90*

Comment

I won't be using a stock cam, top end will only be matched, and I will be self tuning. Will be using stock 3.1 manifolds to get it running and going with turbo headers once it's moving again. I doubt I will be able to afford dyno time, but the track is cheap.
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

Stock 3400 had an auto, not a manual. The stock gen 3 cam is more aggressive than a stock 3.4 iron head cam. Russ is using an aftermarket cam now and really needs some tuning. His results are good, but they certainly could be better with a tune. He was and probably still is running the stock 3.4 chip
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

If your running a turbo, the turbo is gonna do most of the work so I dont think the head change would make a big difference. About as much as a a good port, polish, match, and valve job on the 3400 heads. I've never done any of this myself, but it just makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by FiredUpZ28 View Post
              If your running a turbo, the turbo is gonna do most of the work so I dont think the head change would make a big difference. About as much as a a good port, polish, match, and valve job on the 3400 heads. I've never done any of this myself, but it just makes sense.
              HUH?

Hey Driver 10!!! The 3500 will fit anyewhere a 3400 fits ...

Although, I have had a few beers tonight and din't want to go and handling the heads too much , but the 3500 heads don't look that advantagious to the 3400. It seems the 3500 upper end has a much better UIM design and larger chambers, but until I sober up a bit, I'm not going to do any measurements/comparisons. However, the question about height has been answered, *thank-you, thank-you very-much*, lmao

EDIT: Please note the accesory bracket bolt holes, they differ between the 3400/3500...
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

The 3500 sticks up higher and unless you lower the entire engine more, it won't clear your hood. Russ measured all that before. The 3500 heads are lot different and we have pictures and flowsheets for them. I bet when you sober up and actually look at the heads you will see some updates to the design.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Driver wanted to know about the 3500 heads bolted on the 3400.

No, I'm not that drunk but don't want to have a mishap either. I didn't flip the 3400 heads over and have a look-see comp to the 3500's, but I have seen your flow sheets and KNOW the difference . I just took a quick look, grabbed a couple of bolts and set them together to take pics. I can't wait to get some gaskets to match to, any suggestions?

It's just a visual thing, I really didn't know the big difference between the iron and aluminum heads, UNTIL I HAD A PAIR IN MY HANDS!!! Anybody who knows anything about anything, could tell the advances in design, but not everybody cares....
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

The 3500 sticks up higher and unless you lower the entire engine more
                    Higher than the Gen1 intake? The 3400 is a full 1.5" or more lower than the 3.1/2.8, unsure about the 3.4.
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

no, higher than the 3400.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                        no, higher than the 3400.
                        Not by much. What kind of measurement difference did you guys come up with?
                        Links:
                        WOT-Tech.com
                        FaceBook
                        Instagram

Comment

Whatever the brake booster takes up. I don't remember what I measured it to but I dont have a camaro with a 3400 to drop it in and test fit.
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                            Whatever the brake booster takes up. I don't remember what I measured it to but I dont have a camaro with a 3400 to drop it in and test fit.
                            The booster port was the difference I saw. Driver's 3400 sits 1.5" or so lower than the 3.4 IIRC, that would give him 3" above the MPFI/SFI top end.

I can see a 3x00 swap in my distant future
                            Links:
                            WOT-Tech.com
                            FaceBook
                            Instagram

Comment

I believe 1.5" will give you the room to use the 3500 upper. If you aren't doing anything soon, you will have time to see some results on boost porting. I have some setups I am working on and will have it all available soon 3400 vs 3500 top end under boost conditions is less cut and dry like I am seeing the NA setups.
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

forcedfirebird -- you wont have the same issue that myself and driver_10 might have, because you have a third gen and the engine not only sits a little bit differently, but your height limiting factor is in the bottom of the hood, which can be changed by going to a SS style or cowl induction.

the limiting factor in the 4th gens is the cowl, or area the windshield sits on top of. the only way to change the height of that, would be to notch or cut the windshield and then move things around -- a much more difficult task than just changing the hood.

While driver_10 used a full 3400 engine and custom motor mounts to drop the engine - I used stock motor mounts and only the 3100 and then 3400 topend, so my motor sits in the stock 3.4 location. WITH THIS SETUP - i have 1/8" clearance between the top of the 3400 plenum with the "3400 sfi" shaved off (had to use my rotozip) and the underside of the cowl - "top of the engine bay"

the 3500 plenum is the same height as the 3400 plenum - WITH THE "3400 SFI" letters on top. when i tried putting the 3400 plenum in before i removed the lettering on top, it scraped the cowl. it would have meant that the motor would have been directly tied to the rest of the car, and i would have negated any effects of motor mounts (think solid mounts...rattling your teeth out, etc).

the height is different - because i am measuring differently than driver_10 is. if you make custom motor mounts (which is something im considering having done) - i could use any plenum i wanted to. the other limiting factor to me right now, is that im using the stock k-member.

there are a lot of differences between everyone else's "3400 setup" and mine - being that i did this myself, when everyone said it wouldnt work, and i had to invent everything as i went, i used what i had on a VERY limited budget.

consequently, i am using the stock 3.4 tune and because of the cam i have in there now (its always run a little off) the engine is just dumping fuel into the motor. i currently have a 10.5:1 Air to Fuel Ratio (rich) running the car and i probably get around 8 mpg. (im not kidding).

on my last dyno - 3400 heads and aftermarket cam - i recorded 184rwhp / 212rwtq. if i could tune (working on it), those numbers would go up... something to look forward to i think lol.

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
                                Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
                                West Coast F-Bodies Car Club

Comment

Working...
                                X