Internal mods without removing heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal mods without removing heads?

I am going to be replacing my LIM gasket next month and installing P&P intake manifolds. What are some things I can do (possibly with lifters/rocker arms/etc) while i'm down there to give me a little extra power? I have read some stuff on the board on using 1.6 rocker arms...can someone give me a little more info? I would install LS6 springs but I dont want to remove the heads. Thanks guys!

You don't have to remove the heads to install springs. You have to use a special tool that fits in a spark plug hole that you hook an air compressor to so it fills the cylinder with air, so the valves won't fall out when you take the springs off.

If anyone has a link to one that fits this engine, post it since I need one but don't know what size to get.
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Ok...let me know when you find out. I dont want to buy one, but if I can borrow/rent one, I may do that. Is there anything else I can do?

Comment

I have had very good luck using a piece of rope or string to hold the valves up when changing springs or seals. Clean around the spark plug and remove it, remove the rocker arms, feed the rope into the spark plug hole keeping the end out so you can remove the rope when finished. Using a socket, slowly rotate engine to push the rope against the valves. Just back the crankshaft up a little to release the pressure on the rope to remove it. Cheap, easy and doesn't require a compressor.
        MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
        '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
        http://www.tcemotorsports.com
        http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Your engine comes stock with 1.6 rocker arms (although stockers aren't always precise... might be 1.55-1.65). You could goto the Crane full roller rockers, but for the price, they are not really worth it until you really start building the motor up.
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

u can change the cam without taking the heads off, but of course u have to take the front cover off...

Comment

you can supercharge it without taking anything off!
              Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
              fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                Your engine comes stock with 1.6 rocker arms (although stockers aren't always precise... might be 1.55-1.65). You could goto the Crane full roller rockers, but for the price, they are not really worth it until you really start building the motor up.
                didn't the 3400 on that late of a model have full rollers (post '96)?
                Links:
                WOT-Tech.com
                FaceBook
                Instagram

Comment

no, just roller fulcrum, but they are 1.6 ratio...

Comment

1996 Lumina APV Minivan ends production along with the 3.1L FWD iron head motor

3400 introduced in some models with an increased intake valve (1.76") and D shaped exhaust port for increase flow.

OBD II computer system introduced

Full roller valve train introduced with roller fulcrum rockers and non adjustable preload

Self aligning rocker arms

Horsepower 185 (3400 only, varies slightly between models)

Torque 205 (3400 only, varies slightly between models)

Compression ratio 9.6:1 (all motors)
                    RWD engine ends

Full roller was misunderstood...
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

Supercharger requires much bling...college takes all my bling. I wish, though

Comment

ha! just plug in a shop vac! hahahaha
                        Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
                        fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

This reminds me of a topic on the old berettastuff.com forum...we seriously talked about finding a way to rig a hairdryer (without heater) to the intake...haha

Comment

Working...
                          X