How to make power in a carbed 2.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CNCguy View Post
    It has full vacuum to the front cover and a vent line from the rear cover to just ahead of the TB. The front line is restricted to around 3/16" diameter to limit air flow. The whole arrangement surprised me. I guess there is a reason for it but wonder how it will work when the engine starts getting some blowby.

Another odd thing about it was the size of the connector on the valve cover. It is the same size and configuration as the fuel rail connector and is around 4" away from it. It would be really bad to hook your fuel supply line up to the valve cover. You can see the fittings in this pic. http://60degreev6.com/gallery/files/...7_original.jpg
    They've figured out a better way of a metered vacuum leak. Or maybe they have a timer on it so you trade it in JUST before any problems start showing their ugly heads!
    Last edited by Ray Hamilton; 05-08-2007, 02:32 PM.
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Originally posted by IXLR8 View Post
      well i have had mine like this for about 30,000miles and havent had a problem with it.. No I dont its completly sealed off because the valve covers leak
      The hose to the air cleaner allows the PCV to draw clean air from the air cleaner through the block by means of manifold vacuum through the PCV valve. Every engine I ever had that started blowing oil out everywhere had a broken ring or piston, hence too much "blow by", that is, pressure in the block. The way you have it set up, as the wiki tells you, if your engine backfires for some reason it could ignite the fumes in the crankcase and blow the pan off the engine, don't laugh, it's happened. This by having an unrestricted line directly to full manifold vacuum. Good luck with that setup.
      '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

2.8 GM? In a Jeep? I shouldn't be surprised they in isuzu's too. Tell ya what I did....
        I had a 1985 S-10 Blazer with a 2.8. I bought .512" cam from summit racing for it, got a roller timing chain, the edelbrock 4 brl carb intake, and a edlebrock 600 carb. I did some major port and polish work to the headsand here's where it got fun. On one side of the intake the runners had an opening of about 1" x 2", on the otherside they were 1" x 1", there is a passage way for the EGR under the ports so they had to shrink it down to allow for crappy emissions, How they planne don a motor running right with left bank to right bank differances that much is beyond me. So, I cut the egr passage out of the bottom of the intake and removed the entire floor of the intake passage for that bank, added some aluminum plate to make up the runner walls back to the proper height to match the other bank, and then welded in a new floor, sans egr passage, and welded off what was left of the egr passage. What I got was a 2.8 that liked to break things, transmissions, torque converters, diff carriers, axles, leaf springs, and one axle tube. Have fun, she launched like a V-8!
        sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
        A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
        Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
        Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
        PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Well have an edelbrock intake as well.. if that is what your talking about with one side of the runners being smaller... Well I also had the 3.4 lower intake manifold off the camaro, so i took the injector holes and tapped them put plugs in each hole, then took a aluminum plate and cut it out to fit over the lower intake. I mounted the original edelbrock upper intake to the camaro lower manifold. made a huge difference on upper range power.. wasnt that hard and was very cheap to do... good luck.. sry to jack your thread man

Comment

Originally posted by CNCguy View Post
            You can see the fittings in this pic. http://60degreev6.com/gallery/files/...7_original.jpg
            You can?

It's way too blurry to make anything out.

Comment

Well i mean i beleive what your saying about the backfire... but i see it blowing the oil cap off first... without the pcv hooked up the oil cap just pops right out without a problem...

Comment

Working...
              X