Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got it on, I had to take the paint off the area on the 7x wheel that actually slides into the crank pulley, but I finally got it on.

I'll post some pics of stuff tomorrow.
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

• OK is there a trick to getting the knock sensor into that hole? I can get it about half way in and it comes to a dead stop. I have tried oil, I got another bolt of the same size and pitch to thread in cutting any rust out, but it still stops half way.

There was a bunch of red antiseize stuck to the knock sensor so I got a new one to try, and it does the same thing.

Did you use a socket or what? When I try a wrench it starts to just round it off, and the only socket I can find that fits it doesn't "quite" fit it, it wants to round it off too.
      SpudFiles
      Theopia
      Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

• Not sure how far mine went in.. i just threadded it till it stopped. IIRC i just grabbed it with a pair of channel locks and "snugged' it.. same as my OPSU.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

• You don't thread it all the way in. If you do, you will have more KR issues cause its going to to be too far in.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

• Humm... I'll take a pic of it, see if it's far enough. About half of the threads are still showing.

Here are some pics I took earlier today.

Test fitting of the headers...

It seems like the tstat would get real hot there, and open up all of the time?

Purdy Black!

Can I beat those 2 little corners in to give myself a bit of extra working room to try to get the headers in there?

I still haven't solved the cam sensor issue. I can't seem to get the old one out of my 3100, nor does it look like the 3500 really would come out since all I can see is the plug sticking out of the block.

They are both 3 wire sensors and my harness is so close to snapping in there, but it just doesn't quite make it. Anyone have any tips on getting the cam sensors out so I can swap em, or an idea to make the 3500 one work?

Thanks!
            Last edited by PCGUY112887; 07-01-2007, 11:56 PM.
            SpudFiles
            Theopia
            Enjoy life online.

Comment

• So you don't have the plug for the 3500 one then?

I think mine's still in there, if you need it just let me know.
              Past Builds;
              Current Project;

Comment

• I have this sticking out of the block...

(see first picture in that post).

Issue is, I have nothing to plug into it.
                SpudFiles
                Theopia
                Enjoy life online.

Comment

• Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
                  I have this sticking out of the block...

(see first picture in that post).

Issue is, I have nothing to plug into it.
                  I have the plug in mine:

you may be able to splice your wires into what's left of it.

i think you need to match the cam sensor to the cam, the '04+ cam is different than the older ones...
                  Past Builds;
                  Current Project;

Comment

• Yes I need that plug if I can get it! I guess you don't use it becuase your not OBD-II?

As far as the sensor it's self being different... I don't know. I do have the 60degree regrind cam in there, I don't know if there are different marking on the 60degree regrind and the stock 3500 one.

Ben would you care to enlighten us if the stock 3500 sensor would work, if I got the wires spliced up correctly?

Thanks.
                    SpudFiles
                    Theopia
                    Enjoy life online.

Comment

Yes I need that plug if I can get it! I guess you don't use it becuase your not OBD-II?

As far as the sensor it's self being different... I don't know. I do have the 60degree regrind cam in there, I don't know if there are different marking on the 60degree regrind and the stock 3500 one.

Ben would you care to enlighten us if the stock 3500 sensor would work, if I got the wires spliced up correctly?

Thanks.
                      Do you have pics of your cam?

here is one i posted a while back...

3500 on the left, '02 3400 middle and '99 right

If that's the case then you'll have to swap the sensor.
                      Past Builds;
                      Current Project;

Comment

• If it's only about 1/2" needed or maybe just slightly more, why couldn't you just notch the mount to clear the #2 primary tube? If I'm seeing it right you only need to notch the support on that bracket that is closest to the rear of the engine, not both.

Knock Sensor is not supposed to thread completly in. The thread is an NPT thread or Nation Pipe Taper, meaning the thread itself is tapered. As you tighten the KS down, it will get tighter just due to this taper.

Comment

• How come you can't remove your cam sensors? There is a bolt that holds the flange of each down. Just unbolt and pull out..... Put some silicone around the flange when putting back down to make sure oil doesn't leak, or get a new o-ring..
                          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

• On my 3100, the cam sensor appears to be riveted in.
                            SpudFiles
                            Theopia
                            Enjoy life online.

Comment

On my 3100, the cam sensor appears to be riveted in.
                              Pics?
                              Past Builds;
                              Current Project;

Comment

• That is what I was gonna say. Never seen one riveted in.
                                Taylor
                                1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                                1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                                1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                                1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                                "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Working...
                                X