Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the TCE TB works just like the stock unit, just buy the 3500 TB adapter and the TCE TB and bolt it up with all your old sensors IAC etc. You can swap your own linkages to save money.

Yeah if you got the hard lines and they fit the car then why not use em. Usually people don't have them or they don't fit so they adapt the LIM to their existing lines.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Ah ok that's good then, will make it easier. Almost everything was on this engine aside from the alt and starter. Wires and everything were on it, it was almost turnkey.

Ben, you said thread into the pulley.... unless you mean thread into the center I have nothing else to thread into.

Seems like whatever I use needs to have 3 arms with L brackets that go and somehow lock behind each of the 3 sections of the wheel, then the center of the arms screws into the center and it forces the pulley off.

I told autozone what I needed (for renting) and they had no clue what to give me, eventually they handed me the harmonic puller.
      Attached Files
      SpudFiles
      Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
      Theopia
      Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
      3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Well, there's always plasma cutter for the win! lol JK.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Interesting, as that is not like the old 3x00 style pulley. The old style had a threaded hole in each arm. The harmonic balancer puller should be able to do the trick though.
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
            Interesting, as that is not like the old 3x00 style pulley. The old style had a threaded hole in each arm. The harmonic balancer puller should be able to do the trick though.

Not without making some adaptors.

The Harmonic balancer puller is designed for balancers that have threaded holes to use bolts to attach each part to.

A 3 jaw puller, with the jaws behind each cutout and some sort of die in the middle to keep the puller from pushing into the crank, much like what the balancer puller would have would work.

I bet Snap-On and Mac have tools designed just for this very application, as well as the couple other engines I've seen with similar pulleys/balancers.

Comment

I used a 3 jaw puller to get my 3500 pully off, worked perfect.

the new style TCE external trigger will work with that pully as well (if you plan on using it)
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I'll use my old one if it's easier to get on/off later.

Thanks, I'll go hunt down a 3 jaw puller today!
                SpudFiles
                Theopia
                Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
                  I'll use my old one if it's easier to get on/off later.

Thanks, I'll go hunt down a 3 jaw puller today!
                  I used the regular bolt in style except I put washers behind the spokes and put the bolts through them and held them in place with washers which actually did the pulling. A little heat, just a little would help also. I couldn't find the third arm to my claw style puller.

The 3500 balancer is also a little larger in diameter so installing the 3400 pulley will give you a little under drive.

Comment

OK I got the crank pulley off with a nice 3 jaw puller. Now I got the timing cover off.

Here is where I am unsure of what happens next. I think stick something through a hole in the top gear here and torque the bolt in the center off. I have no idea what is under that, or how the cam comes out of there. I know I gotta pull the push rods out of the valve covers... will the lifters be attached to them or do the lifters come out a different way?

Just wanna ensure I am doing things right since I have no one else to ask, and I don't wanna take apart stuff I don't need to!

Thanks.
                    Attached Files
                    SpudFiles
                    Theopia
                    Enjoy life online.

Comment

I usually block the flywheel to get it loose. Nothing will fly off from behind the gear.

What do the numbers on the end of your crank read.

Comment

1484 then 4032410
                        SpudFiles
                        Theopia
                        Enjoy life online.

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
                          1484 then 4032410
                          Are you positively sure the four digit number is 1484 and not 7484 which would identify it as the steel crank?

Comment

To get the lifters out, you will need to unbolt the lifter retainers from the block (under the LIM). Sometimes the lifters will stay with the retainer and come out that way. Otherwise, you just have to grab them or use a magnet to get them out.

Oh, and case you didn't know, or you haven't seen it on the site before, remember to keep the pushrods in the correct order.
                            -Brad-
                            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                            sigpic
                            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

It is 7484, it's hard to read and I missed the top part of the 7 :-p
                              SpudFiles
                              Theopia
                              Enjoy life online.

Comment

OK I see that the LIM has to come off now to get to the lifters, I was trying to leave it on...

Can the LIM gasket and everything be reused? I know they added those little guides so you don't have to RTV the bottom of the LIM, but if I'm careful will it all be reused?
                                SpudFiles
                                Theopia
                                Enjoy life online.

Comment

Working...
                                X