X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To whom it may concern: 3800's and 323i's are NOT

fast.
    Yep. My mildly modded a4 152k mile 3.1 walked a high-90's 323i like a dog last week, and just today I started taming my buddies 3800 (2003 GP). Kinda sad. He has high-flow cats for a "mod", I have a cai, flowmaster exhaust, and 152k miles of push behind my 3.1. We were dead-even down low (only ran to 45-50mph), but I know it would been the same or with me pulling ahead up top since my car is quicker up top.

Ok. I'm done hoping someone from clubGP sees this.

Good day all.

Matt
    '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Street Racing is lame, take it to the track and post the slips.
    2000 Grand Am GT
    2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

Eh tell that to the guy in the 323i who got raped four consecutive times (then flipped me and my friend off), or my other friend in which whom owns the 3800 who was embarassed by my 3.1.
      Last edited by 85_305; 03-31-2007, 11:26 AM.
      '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Even though street racing is gay I will back you up on that. My moms 94 Grand Am used to destroy my friends 323i back when we were in highschool.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

yup and 3800 gtps blow, unless thier modded
          some guy thought he was all cool squeeling for a whole 3 seconds today

what was it...... 3800 gtp

i laughed at him

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
            Even though street racing is gay I will back you up on that. My moms 94 Grand Am used to destroy my friends 323i back when we were in highschool.
            Haha nice! What motor for the Grand Am? Quad Four or the 3.1?

Originally posted by sil View Post
            yup and 3800 gtps blow, unless thier modded
            some guy thought he was all cool squeeling for a whole 3 seconds today

what was it...... 3800 gtp

i laughed at him
            Well shit coulda fooled me up until yesterday! Up until yesterday, any time I lined up w/ a 3.8 (or heck, even the newer style 3100's/3500's) I've been affraid and wouldn't mess around. But yesterday opened up a whole new line of fun Funny part is, 3800's seem to be able to roast their tires quite nicely, whereas my 3.1 hardly scratches them most of them time. Oh well. I am happy. Just wish I would be having the car long enough to start modding some more. I am getting rid of it for another GTZ.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

It was (and still is) the trusty 3100.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Oh no shit. Nice man! The weird part is I run off 3100's in my 3.1. I took a mid-high 90's Grand Am 3100 pretty easily.. odd??

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Just the other day I saw an 04+ Grand prix up the road ahead of me hauing ass, in HOPES it was a GTP. I knew it wasn't a Comp though. So I haul ass to catch up to him and when I did, I gave it a little gave gas to scoot ahead, and so did he, and I heard blower. And I was like "YES! FINALLY!"

When he gave gas, I did too, and then I just I floored it and I seriously didn't know if he was giving up/let off or if I was just beating the crap out of him that BAD.

Then it hits us. Red light. I'm right next to him, and he's not looking over. That's fine. I have a big ass grin on my face. When I see the other light turn yellow, I power brake it a TINY bit, and then green: I waited to see if he was going to run, because some people mess around but never walk the walk when it's time. But I heard tire squeal, and then I hit it.

OMG. I beat him so bad from a dig it was pathetic. Again, I didn't know if he was trying or if he gave up. But a little after 80MPH (around the end of my 2nd gear) I just stopped. He turned off and that was the end of that.

Of course this was all in my modded 99 Ford SVT Lightning. Not my 3" exhuast 3.4L DOHC. Man I would be stupid to race a GTP from a dig in that car!!

But to add my 2 cents, as much as I've been a supporter of 60 degree (mostly the DOHC...not the pushrods) I just don't see a 3.1 getting that much of an edge on the 3.8. Not to say it didn't happen, but you could call it driver error. Maybe the next 3.8 won't be as easy.

Kudos though.
                  1999 SVT Lightning
                  1996 Monte Z34 R.I.P.
                  Next BEATER: a C5
                  http://www.fquick.com/ez112

Comment

Wow you cock, here I am getting all excited (knowing FULL WELL my 3.1 would have a LOT of trouble even TRYING to hang w/ the 3800 s/c), then you say it's a Lightening. Then I think to myself, well no shit a blown 5.3 is gonna take a blown 3800! LOL. But nice! Very nice! But hey man I was surprised. TRUST me I was surprised my 140hp 3.1 hung with his 3800. But as some side info, an old friend of mine (sold me my '90 5spd SE that could NOT be beaten) ALWAYS said that the 3100's where JUNK and the newer stuff sucks. I am starting to see why, because I waste 3100's, and I was dead even from a dig w/ a 38000 (my car pulls better up-top).. so.. well I dunno what I'm trying to say. I am happy my CAI/exhaust 3.1 held it's own though
                    Plus both cars are auto's (my buddies was JUST replaced). He and I have been "street racing" if you will since we got our licenses, so we are pretty decent drivers.

Oh ya. Sexy Z34.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

I agree 100% a stock 3800 and a stock 3.4L dohc are pretty dead even in the quarter and down low the 3800 will eat the 3.4

the only thing i can say is the 3800 you raced either wasnt racing, had mech problems bad tires ect. the mods you have wont come close to steping up to a 3800 with all other things being equal.

Comment

Funny part is, I rode in that 3800 right after that race and it didn't seem that quick. But he was racing, I know he was. It's our "ritual" if you will when pulling outta somewhere.
                        But i raced a 3800 Olds like it was nothing at a red light (tried cutting me off).

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by 85_305 View Post
                          He and I have been "street racing" if you will since we got our licenses,
                          So this has been over the period of about 6 months to a year now?

Originally posted by 85_305 View Post
                          so we are pretty decent drivers.
                          You and all the other Fast and Furious wanna Be's

Seriously your 3.1 is not fast, and a CAI and flowmaster aren't going to give you much of an increase.
                          2000 Grand Am GT
                          2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

Originally posted by onefastV6 View Post
                            So this has been over the period of about 6 months to a year now?

You and all the other Fast and Furious wanna Be's

Seriously your 3.1 is not fast, and a CAI and flowmaster aren't going to give you much of an increase.
                            Ya six months

I know my 3.1's not fast. That's why I have a 13 second GTZ, and will be buying back my full bolt on Z28 come june. And I am tossing getting a CBR-RR. But who knows Whats your point? MY point is, my car hung with a 3800. Lets not cry about it because well, facts are facts and that's a fact.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

i beat my buddies crown vic to abot 55-65 mph with my moms 200 grand prix with a 3800 and only a tornado and k&n replacement filter.
                              the crown vic has flowmaster cat-back duals and a k&n cold air intake.

Comment

Working...
                              X