Oil splash pan intake manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil splash pan intake manifold

I had my intake glass beaded and the machinist told me to knock the rivets out of the splash pan and clean it under there. I was reading a thread here the other day about that and I can't find it now. How far can I drill w/o going thru to replace the rivets with screws?
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

I did the same but never drilled. I used a self tapping machine screw and used loctite on the threads.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

i was thinking a piece of stainless as as splash pan.. to help keep intake runner temps down.. any one have pics of theirs installed?
      1996 beretta w/a 04' 3400 3.5 top end, 42.5lb hr, 180*thermo, t3t4 .63ar 60 trim, LC1 WB, FMIC, greddy rs BOV,TIAL 38mm wastegate,791xv,fidanza,stage III clutch,TG LSD,ffp udp,walbro 255 lph,strut tower brace,22 rear sway,30 front sway,92 5sp tranny,92 subframes,all solid mounts,kyb shocks and struts,eibachs,battery in trunk,tgp map sensor,DHP Powrtuner,euro front and rear and more to come soon...mods sitting in boxes waiting install....zo4 kit,GTU wing,and more..

Comment

It wont affect the intake temps. The shield is there to prevent oil from sticking to the underside of the EGR passage a breaking down. If you deleted EGR the splash shield would be useless.

The only way you are going to lower intake temperatures is to block the EGR passages. Buy you still have thermal conductivity from the engine block and coolant in the intake. So it is a futile effort.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I had to drill it because the the rivels didn't want to unscrew. the heads came off. I'm blocking off the EGR as I have done before with no ill effects.
          I got it on there with screws but a few bottomed out and I was afraid I'd go clear through.
          I did that once with a jeep transfer case. I was drilling out a broken floor board bolt and it gave and drill went through the top of that T'case like butter. I threaded it and plugged it. No problems.
          I left those shields off SBC and never had any problem. But if all it effects is the EGR I may just take it off, although it is very solid, used loctite sleeve set on the screws.
          BTW, the intake sure looks nice glass beaded, I would recommend, cost $30.

Thanks for the great replies again.

Ray
          Last edited by Ray Hamilton; 03-31-2007, 01:59 PM.
          '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Working...
          X