will 2.8 pistons work in 3.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will 2.8 pistons work in 3.1?

Looking for a set of forged pistons and found some 2.8s will they work in a 3.1?

No. Pin height is all wrong.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I second that.
      They will bolt in, but they would stick out of the block at the top of the stroke.
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

They will if you really want to do some reworking.

Switching to a 5.565 rod should solve the poping out of the block problem but that cost more than just getting a custom piston cus your still going to have to get custom wristpins and make sure you get the right rod jounals.

Lot more work that what your looking for.

Bright side Would make a real torque down low so if your doing off roading could be a good thing
        Last edited by ignoreance; 03-24-2007, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Or just swap to a 2.8 crank...
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

yeah, i'd leave the shorter rod alone. bad for side loading the cylinder and piston causing premature wear.
            Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
            fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Premature wear is a relitive term. Block rings and rods last about 120-170 depending on owners useage. the rods last longer. but you wall and ring clearance is fine blah blah blah premature wear. short stroke motors with short rods seemed to last a fare amount of time. But if you spin them up yes that will cause premature wear every motor has its design and service. Most Diesel engines don't work do to much performance above that 4.5k rpm. And what would you build it for a torque motor. when you crawling rocks with a 5xx ring gear and 33+ tires you would want a motor with nice torque so that you can use it in the applied range. Oh and dodge happens to use the same angle on there 360 blocks(mopar). Seems to work fine for them. Oh another motor with short rod ratio. 454BB sweet seems to work good in a truck. Trooper is like a truck thats what i have. I don't know what this guy has cuss he hasn't filled out his section for the Vehicle. Just letting people know. But each have there own taste.

Comment

Well that is good general information but horrible english. Yes lots of motors use a worse rod/stroke ratio that ours. A shorter rod can add low end torque. But a longer rod will make for a more efficient engine.
                1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Yeah I didn't edit it. I had to go to spanish class

Comment

Working...
                  X