How to get 200 crank hp/ft. lbs. from my 3.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get 200 crank hp/ft. lbs. from my 3.1

Hello everyone. I'm finally gonna have some money to do the top end swap on my 92 Grand Prix. I have all the parts from a 3100 95 Buick Century, but I know from the many posts on this site that there are much better head/intake options. I'm not looking for a sleeper or anything, just a little more zip from this dog. Can you guys advise me as to what it would take to get maybe 200 crank HP & ft. lbs. tq.?

Thanks everyone for reading
    Last edited by TazMan; 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM.

The '95 century uses a goofy throttle body that you probably can't use. It has a built in MAF, and also uses some sort of reduction box in the throttle linkage.

Comment

that top end won't get you there, you'll need atleast a 3400 top end or a '00+ 3100 setup.

Good porting, a nice exhaust setup, maybe a 3500 plenum and 62mm TB will get you there with tuning...

those small port parts will get you about 10-15 more HP.. hardly worth the effort IMO
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

200 hp on a 3.1 means alot of work. Head work, valve work, new rings, headers, etc. Just the new intake won't get you there. I am not experienced with the Buick intake, but I'll bet any money it is set up for emissions. That means it will take some porting and maybe a bigger throttle body.

If you skip any steps you just won't get there. That being said, you do know about nitrous, and it will get you there, but nitrous is not the best for daily driving.

Good luck on it.
        Arn Brown

Comment

Yah I am not figuring on making anywhere near 200 crank hp from the Buick parts. I plan on picking up some better heads, manifolds. I was figuring maybe a 2000+ 3100 top end to start with. I think the 2000 Grand Prix 3100 makes 175hp/195 ft. lbs. at the crank which would still be a nice improvement. I haven't checked yet for sure, but as 86euro said I will probably need a new throttle body so I would be upgrading that too. Then when summertime comes and I have a garage to work in, I would like to go from there and see about bringing that number a little closer to 200. Headers are a good idea, but I hear they are very very expensive and very hard to find for this car. If anyone knows where I might be able to get a set for a reasonable price that would fit a 92 GP please let me know. I'm not looking to dyno the motor or anything so 200hp isn't a must. I just wanna make this car a bit more fun to drive.

Thanks alot everyone for all the ideas.

Comment

i've modded my 3.1 and am fairly sure i have something like 175 hp and 210tq. without a cam, i'm stuck there--not to mention those horrible exhaust logs!
            Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
            fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

definitly do the top end, the 3.1 upper intake flows like crap. Other than that, crane sells a cam (H260 i think?) FFP UD pulley, chip, dogbones(wont get you much, but it'll help) 3100 rockers and an exhaust should get you not real close, but farther from stock

Comment

Working...
              X