Help with cam timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with cam timing

Is there a degree or measure per tooth on the cam sprocket?

I want to retard my cam 8 degrees and am trying to do it without a degree wheel.

Is there a general rule of thumb like 2* per tooth or something like that?

This on a 3.1 iron head
    Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
    Pet Waste Removal Omaha
    We offer dog waste removal and cat waste removal services.
    (402) 320-3824, We service the Omaha, Ne. metropolitan area.

On the 3100, each tooth is 7.2º. Its actually quite each to figure it out... Simple math tells you to count the number of each, divide that into 360º, and what do you know... degrees/tooth.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

why do you want to retard the cam 8* from stock?
      1996 beretta w/a 04' 3400 3.5 top end, 42.5lb hr, 180*thermo, t3t4 .63ar 60 trim, LC1 WB, FMIC, greddy rs BOV,TIAL 38mm wastegate,791xv,fidanza,stage III clutch,TG LSD,ffp udp,walbro 255 lph,strut tower brace,22 rear sway,30 front sway,92 5sp tranny,92 subframes,all solid mounts,kyb shocks and struts,eibachs,battery in trunk,tgp map sensor,DHP Powrtuner,euro front and rear and more to come soon...mods sitting in boxes waiting install....zo4 kit,GTU wing,and more..

Comment

I have a comp 260 and it is advanced 4* I run juice so I have no need for a super torquey cam. I like the cam but the powerband is 1-5k I want 2-6k or as close as possible.
        Last edited by fivepointhustla; 01-26-2007, 01:30 AM.
        Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
        Pet Waste Removal Omaha

Comment

Duration is going to affect the RPM range the most. More so than the intake closing event, which is the key event you are trying to alter when adjusting your cam timing.

I am sure you already know that a 270 cam would better suit your needs but I was just stating for other peoples benefit.

So follow Brads math advice for timing adjustments. But also know that altering your cam 8* is alot and you should consider what you are doing to the timing of the other valve events versus piston location. You may be screwing it up more that you are improving it.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

yeah 8* could mean a battle between the valves and pistons..
            1996 beretta w/a 04' 3400 3.5 top end, 42.5lb hr, 180*thermo, t3t4 .63ar 60 trim, LC1 WB, FMIC, greddy rs BOV,TIAL 38mm wastegate,791xv,fidanza,stage III clutch,TG LSD,ffp udp,walbro 255 lph,strut tower brace,22 rear sway,30 front sway,92 5sp tranny,92 subframes,all solid mounts,kyb shocks and struts,eibachs,battery in trunk,tgp map sensor,DHP Powrtuner,euro front and rear and more to come soon...mods sitting in boxes waiting install....zo4 kit,GTU wing,and more..

Comment

I only want 4* retard as the end result. Does that matter? I mean if my timing gear has the same amount of teeth as the 3100 and I happened to install it wrong with 1 tooth retard then I can't see that being a problem.
              Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
              Pet Waste Removal Omaha

Comment

It is early for me but wouldn't that be 7.2º at the cam which would be 14.4º at the crank?
                MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Thats what brad and I are working on with this template deal. When you degree the cam, thats crank degrees right? I have the timing wheel on the crank and came up with 113.5 ICL and I want 108. So I would need 5.5 crank degrees or cam degrees? If its 5.5 crank degrees, then I want 2.75 cam degrees?
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                    Thats what brad and I are working on with this template deal. When you degree the cam, thats crank degrees right? I have the timing wheel on the crank and came up with 113.5 ICL and I want 108. So I would need 5.5 crank degrees or cam degrees? If its 5.5 crank degrees, then I want 2.75 cam degrees?

It can be confusing at times since all events are measured in lift at the cam, degrees at the crank and there is a 2:1 gear ratio. You would need to change it 2.75 at the cam.

On a different note, I am having a few sets of TC cover spacers made and they should be finished next week. They are made from 1/8" thick stainless and each set includes spacers for the TCC, dampner and FWD right head to move the ALT. These should allow the use of a double row TC but do not address the issue of AC comp location. Doesn't the DRTC setup have provisions for timing adjustment?
                    MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                    '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                    http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                    http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Yes it does, but only in +-4 degree. We don't get the really nice setups but it would still be better than stock. Thanks for the update. I don't know if I have enough time for that on this motor but I really hope so. I want it for my 3500 though so send me a set as soon as you get them done

There is still 1 problem with the double roller setup. I will take some pics here in a bit.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I'm not running boost or juice, and I have the GM HO cam. I'm considering advancing the cam 4* to lower my power band from 4200 - 5800 down to 3500 - 5200.

If you have a cam with built in 4* advance, and you retard it 8* are you not going to rob your bottom end quite a bit and raise your power band alot?

Arn
                          Arn Brown

Comment

That is kinda what I want
                            Last edited by fivepointhustla; 01-26-2007, 02:25 PM.
                            Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
                            Pet Waste Removal Omaha

Comment

How do you post screen shots?
                              Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
                              Pet Waste Removal Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X