built bottom end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• built bottom end

ill be looking to build my bottom end soon... but im sticking to the 3400... what do you think would be ideal as far as running a 3500 forged crank what rods would be easiest fit? would they have to be machined to fit? and what should i have the pistons build for compression wise..would like 15-20psi.. should i have them build the pistons with thicker ring lands? also what rings should i use to prevent blowby as that high of a psi? any and all info appreciated..

also what would be ideal cam specs for a daily driven turbo car with 3500 heads and ls6 springs?
    Last edited by rickykline; 01-14-2007, 02:39 PM.
    1996 beretta w/a 04' 3400 3.5 top end, 42.5lb hr, 180*thermo, t3t4 .63ar 60 trim, LC1 WB, FMIC, greddy rs BOV,TIAL 38mm wastegate,791xv,fidanza,stage III clutch,TG LSD,ffp udp,walbro 255 lph,strut tower brace,22 rear sway,30 front sway,92 5sp tranny,92 subframes,all solid mounts,kyb shocks and struts,eibachs,battery in trunk,tgp map sensor,DHP Powrtuner,euro front and rear and more to come soon...mods sitting in boxes waiting install....zo4 kit,GTU wing,and more..

Forgot for what reason but I have been told the 3500 crank won't fit in a non-3500 block. The only 60*V6 crank I know of that is stronger is an iron 2.8 crank made by Eagle. The only forged rods that are stronger than stock are going to be 327 rods and they have to be machined (if you need exact #s let me know). Compression depends on the grade of fuel you plan to use and the engine management. They will know how to build the pistons just be honest with them and they will have a piston design that is best for you application. The cam for a daily driven I can't tell you because I don't look at gas mileage when I get into performance cams. Look at the specs for a 3800sc as an example.
    Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
    Pet Waste Removal Omaha
    We offer dog waste removal and cat waste removal services.
    (402) 320-3824, We service the Omaha, Ne. metropolitan area.

Comment

im not looking for gas mileage out of this car... i read the 3500 crank will fit in a 3400 with a little machining.. what is the machining amount on the 327 rods?
      1996 beretta w/a 04' 3400 3.5 top end, 42.5lb hr, 180*thermo, t3t4 .63ar 60 trim, LC1 WB, FMIC, greddy rs BOV,TIAL 38mm wastegate,791xv,fidanza,stage III clutch,TG LSD,ffp udp,walbro 255 lph,strut tower brace,22 rear sway,30 front sway,92 5sp tranny,92 subframes,all solid mounts,kyb shocks and struts,eibachs,battery in trunk,tgp map sensor,DHP Powrtuner,euro front and rear and more to come soon...mods sitting in boxes waiting install....zo4 kit,GTU wing,and more..

Comment

why not just find a cheap 3500 shortblock?

Comment

that might be a possiblity.. but what about the crank trigger? and does the 3500 have the mounting bosses for the intermediate shaft bracket?

Comment

the big ends need to be narrowed from .940 to .854.

.086 from the side that is on the crankshaft cheek on a V8 install. Then you need to have the bearing narrowed the same amount.
            Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
            Pet Waste Removal Omaha

Comment

hmm wonder if my block shop will do that for me.... what about 327 i beams?

Comment

dont forget knife edging the crank. i think the crank will work, just needs the diff crank trigger that tce sells. and the block would need clearancing, but thats about it, and have the rod journals ground a little

Comment

The 3500 crank won't work. This explains a little bit why.
                  Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
                  Pet Waste Removal Omaha

Comment

got aim? im me rickykline

Comment

yes the non VVT 3500 crank works, I just pulled one out of a 3500 and it will go into a 3400 block, you just need to clearance the block for the rods, and again run a external crank trigger, since the stock trigger is way off. As far as rods, your on your own on that one.

If you want I can measure the on center bearing distances on the 3500 block, I still have it sitting in my garage.

Got Lope?
                      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

You will also need to clearance the oil pan as well. People tend to forget to mention this part... The clearancing of the block is to ensure that as the rod is rotating, it doesn't come in contact with the block. Well, it will miss the block, but will hit the oil pan because the clearance sweep isn't complete (if that makes sense). Basically, you have to mirror the clearancing of the block onto the oil pan.
                        -Brad-
                        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                        sigpic
                        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I never compared the oil pan but yes that makes sense... I will check that next time I'm at my parents house.

Got Lope?
                          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

if you can afford to lose some stroke run the eagle crank. It will fit without a doubt and is stronger than stock.
                            Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
                            Pet Waste Removal Omaha

Comment

i might just drop in a 3500 and throw in the forged crank if it doesnt have one in it.. then 327 rods with a nice set of 8.5:1 wisecos... anyone have the specs of the 3500 crank? and rods?

Comment

Working...
                              X