oil squirters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil squirters

i know there's been some talk of it on the boards here with the addition of them to the newer 60* engines on the last cylinder(s)

i cant recall the underside of the gen2 engine blocks, and all my pics are Gone

does anyone on here have any suggestions or input for adding such a mod? is there any interest at all other then myself?
    got zap-straps?
    89 Z24
    13.886 @ 96.16 mph
    street trim - slicks

yes, im wanting to add them to the other 2 banks of my 3500. it seems you first need to mill a flat spot for the squirter assembly to rest up against nicely and then drill a hole for the feed which intersects a oil galley which runs through there. finally, another hole for the retaining bolt and you are done.

i wonder if gmparts.com has them in stock?

Comment

Whats the deal with only having them on one bank of cylinders? What was GM's logic?
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

after quite a bit of research on the net tonight i've found that most people conclude there really is no need for them, they only cover inherent problems and the cooling effect that the oil squirters have is really negated since everything else is subject to high temps.

apperently oil control becomes an issue as well due to the additional drag created.

i can see these adding to the longitivity of the engine, what are the real gains though.. and would it be worth it?

a couple engineering papers would be worth their weight in gold :/
        got zap-straps?
        89 Z24
        13.886 @ 96.16 mph
        street trim - slicks

Comment

Due to the coolant system routing, those 2 cylinders get the hottest. If you can keep the temps down, you can push the output higher. Is it going to give you any HP by throwing it at a stock 3500? Probably not. I have heard also from the 3800 that certain cylinders run hotter so they adjust those cylinders injector load times to compensate. Keeping everything the same is important if you really care about performance. If every cylinder has the same temperature, flow/velocity, header primary, intake length/diameter, compression, etc, it will perform better than another that has any of those things varying by %. Not so important at 70-80% volumetric efficiency, but when you start approaching 95-100+%, you better believe that can make or break you in competition. Longevity for balanced engines is higher than unbalanced. Having oil being thrown at only 2 cylinders will add weight to the reciprocating mass. Do you think GM contemplated the advantages of squirting oil on 2 cylinder vs the disadvantages?
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Although the oil will gain more heat by coming into greater contact with the pistons it will also result in greater heat distribution resulting in fewer or reduced temperatures in various hot spots. It will also reduce piston temperatures which will reduce the tendency to detonate and make things like running 9.8:1 compression or 10.2: compression in the 3.6 DOHC on 87 octane possible. GM has cut corners we can't make sense of in the past, but I believe this is one they gave adequate consideration to. If the oil is squirting directly on the bottom of the piston I doubt their is any additional drag created since it would defeat the purpose for it to be directed at part of the cylinder wall.

The computers and software used to design this technology is much more accurate and telling than what helped produce the flawed first version of the 2.8 with oiling issues. If they stopped production of the camaro and firebird due to low profit generation, do you think they would hesitate to toss the idea of adding oil squirters if their was no justifiable profit gain that would result.

Comment

part of the drag induced from oil squirtrs is just the fact you have a lot more oil clinging to the piston and rods assembly, more mass in general. a stock oil pump might not be able to provide for 6 oil squirters, the rest of the motor, and still more for the vvt stuff. GM might have not wanted to up the anty on that, might have cost them $5, but on hundreds of thousands of motors.
              If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

Working...
              X