valve springs for crane 272

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve springs for crane 272

I have the iron head fiero engine, and i cant seem to find the size of my stock springs anywhere. i was curious about the id and OD. and what seat pressure, installed height....etc etc.

or, to save me time and numb researching, what aftermarket valve springs match up with the crane 272 cam that require no modification? i.e. no machining the head.
    And what is their part number? stock retainers and keepers or do i need others?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by merlot566jka; 11-23-2006, 11:06 PM.
    3500, 1280 cam and PR, ls6 valve springs, port and polished heads, ported lim, ported uim, 4.3 70mm tb, ported trueleo headers and y pipe ALL FOR SALE (minus the car)
    96 LT4 6spd corvette. 355, AI 215cc LT4 Comp CNC Heads, Prope SRS pistons, Ported intake, ARH long tubes, Corsa Indy Pace 4:10 gears
    2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo 6spd
    1970 M35A2 Deuce and a Half, Spin on filters, Turned up IP, HIDs, Flat Black, 11.00x20 singles.

Comp and Crane both list the springs to use. You can also use Beehive springs with the right retainer.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

yep crane lists what spring to use in their catalog with the 272. I might be wrong but I think the number is 98012. This is just off the top of my head so I am probably wrong.

Comment

awesome, thanks folks.
        btw its 99848 for the crane cams (helps if i look at the manufacture's site )
        Ive heard and read some nasty stuff about crane cams, lifters and springs...ive heard it will eat a lobe durring the first 5000 miles and the springs are inconsistant in thier properties causing them to 'not preform as advertised'. yet i dont know if this is due to improper installation or just a bad batch... is there anything other than the crane springs people commonly use with this cam? or better yet whose running this cam/springs combo without problems?

thanks again folks for the fast responses!
        3500, 1280 cam and PR, ls6 valve springs, port and polished heads, ported lim, ported uim, 4.3 70mm tb, ported trueleo headers and y pipe ALL FOR SALE (minus the car)
        96 LT4 6spd corvette. 355, AI 215cc LT4 Comp CNC Heads, Prope SRS pistons, Ported intake, ARH long tubes, Corsa Indy Pace 4:10 gears
        1970 M35A2 Deuce and a Half, Spin on filters, Turned up IP, HIDs, Flat Black, 11.00x20 singles.

Comment

John over on S-series has the Combo on his S-10 with a 3.1L.

I only think the Compucams (Grind 2030 and 2020) are shitty. Everyone loves the 260 and 272 cam. The 99848 springs are noisy and I would not get them. I have used them on a 660 (my motor) and a 4.3L and in both cases with high lift (still not even close to coil bind never exccede .500 lift) the springs made noise. I believe it is due to interferance between the outer spring and the inner damper. I would sugges COMP conventional springs or their Beehive springs. You can also use LSx springs. COMP sell the appropriate retainer.

Comment

so you say the crane springs make some noise, how much noise are we talking here?
            Im trying to find a comparable spring, but no luck. most manufactures do not list the max net lift on thier springs. additional to that i have yet to find anything from compcams that has the same spring rate or higher for that id and od.
            i wish crane had a kit like comp does...takes all the headache out of cam selection

Comment

Comp has plenty of springs. Use the 941 spring.
              Last edited by geoffinbc; 11-24-2006, 09:57 PM.

Comment

thanks, i guess you are better than me.....

Comment

if you are running a 272 I'd run the LS6/LS2 valve springs. Esspecially if you have 1.6 rockers. The seat pressure and open pressure is pretty good match, plus they are made well and are affordable. To run them you need LS1 spring seat/shim, and GEN3 3100/3400 spring retainers and locks.
                  Lorenzo
                  '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                  '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

hmmm...this will work on the 2.8 IRON heads?

looking at the seat pressure, bind, install height, and max lift earlier i didnt think these would work. they look like they arent stiff enough. maybe im mistaken....

Comment

No you cannot run the newer retainers on the old motors. They valve stem is a different size and the new locks wont work. Also the old locks wont work on the new retainer. You can however get the correct retainer from COMP and use stock locks.

Comment

Working...
                      X