Manley Buick V-6 Valves in Iron head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manley Buick V-6 Valves in Iron head

Has anyone tried installing the manley undercut Buick V-6 valves in an iron head? I just ported the heads on my fiero and I thought this might be a fairly easy way to increse flow. The length and stem diameters look identical. Buick head diameters arejust slightly larger.

I used some stock replacement Buick 3.8 valves in my iron heads several years ago. The Manley high performance valves should work as well.
    '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
    '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
    '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
    '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
    Originally posted by Aaron
    This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

So let me get this right I can use buick v6 valves in my stock 3.1 iron heads? Any special year?
      Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
      Pet Waste Removal Omaha
      We offer dog waste removal and cat waste removal services.
      (402) 320-3824, We service the Omaha, Ne. metropolitan area.

Comment

Originally posted by fivepointhustla View Post
        So let me get this right I can use buick v6 valves in my stock 3.1 iron heads? Any special year?
        If you are looking for replacement stock valves, then I assume that buying stock valves would be the way to go. I was interested in using the aftermarket stainless steel valves from Manley. These valves are undercut and swirl polished. Manley claims a fairly significant flow improvement by using their valves. Unfortunately, they do not make valves for a 60 degree V6. I have notices that their buick V-6 valves are just slightly larger (on the order of about .010 as I recall)in diameter. The stem diameter is the same and the overall length appears to be very close. In the end, I decided not to use them because of the price. Summit racing wants about $100 for a set of six. I will put my money into my DOHC instead.

Comment

I was looking for performance valves cheaper than the fiero store. I will be doing the 3400 top end swap in feb/mar. I was gonna look and see if they fit those also.
          Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
          Pet Waste Removal Omaha
          We offer dog waste removal and cat waste removal services.
          (402) 320-3824, We service the Omaha, Ne. metropolitan area.

Comment

If you go to Manley's website, (I just googled it) they list all the dimensions of theri valves. You can see if ANY of the valves they make will fit.

Comment

I don't recall the exact year Buick valves to use. The main reason I used them was they are a flat faced valve, whereas the stock valves are dished. This bumps compression by a couple tenths of a point.

The valves won't work in the aluminum heads, since they use smaller valve stems.
              '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
              '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
              '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
              '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
              Originally posted by Aaron
              This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

Well since manly doesn't make the valves for the 60 degree, we can at least find the right 3.8 or 3800 valves if we knew the stock dimensions of the iron heads.

I know the face is 1.72 and 1.42. I don't know lenght, and I don't know the keeper height either. Maybe someone else knows

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun41178 View Post
                  Well since manly doesn't make the valves for the 60 degree, we can at least find the right 3.8 or 3800 valves if we knew the stock dimensions of the iron heads.

I know the face is 1.72 and 1.42. I don't know lenght, and I don't know the keeper height either. Maybe someone else knows
                  When I checked this out, I had the iron head valves sitting on my desk. I verified that the overall length and stem diameter was the same as the Manley Buick V-6 valves. The Buick valves use a different style keeper than the chevy valves, so I could not verify that the top of the retainer woulkd be in exactly the same place but it looks to me like the Manley valves would put the retainer anout .1" lower.
                  Here is a where to find the Manley valves: http://www.manleyperformance.com/pdf...alves-3-50.pdf
                  They are on page 7 of the catalog.
                  Use part numbers 11503-6 and 11504-6

Comment

Working...
                  X