gear drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear drive

Anyone know of anyone that's ever done a gear drive on a 60*v6 or any company that sells em? I have a friend that is interested in doing this to his, he says he did a gear drive mod on a v8 years ago.

Talking about the Pete Jackson setup?
    Like This ?
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

No one currently makes one, although there is a guy who I got some dimensions from GM for so that he could work on designing a set. Not sure what progress he has made on them.
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Who is Pete Jackson?

Bszopi, would you be able to post the dimensions you have?
        Last edited by dnalbach; 11-08-2006, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Yeah, no one makes them yet. We've all talked about it and it seems we all want them. Whoever gets it done first is gonna have a lot of demand right off the bat. I know I'd be in for buying one.
          '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
          '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
          13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
          Gotta love boost!

Comment

wasn't there intrest in a belt drive as well? does anyone make that?
            Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
            fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

id much rather have a belt drive. nice thing about a belt drive is easy timing changes are very easy and the belt doesnt transfer the harmonics from the crank to the cam, and ultimatly into the entire valve train.

Comment

i think that would be a nice mod for the 3400 but gear drives are usually really noisy... belt sounds more like the way to go
                1996 beretta w/a 04' 3400 3.5 top end, 42.5lb hr, 180*thermo, t3t4 .63ar 60 trim, LC1 WB, FMIC, greddy rs BOV,TIAL 38mm wastegate,791xv,fidanza,stage III clutch,TG LSD,ffp udp,walbro 255 lph,strut tower brace,22 rear sway,30 front sway,92 5sp tranny,92 subframes,all solid mounts,kyb shocks and struts,eibachs,battery in trunk,tgp map sensor,DHP Powrtuner,euro front and rear and more to come soon...mods sitting in boxes waiting install....zo4 kit,GTU wing,and more..

Comment

FWIW.... Most articles that I have read don't recomend gear drives on engines with knock sensors because the sensors detect the gear noise as knock.
                  MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                  '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                  http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                  http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Interesting. Hadn't heard that before, but it makes sense. So anyone know where we could get a belt drive made?... or if there's even room for one in our front cover? I'd imagine a belt drive would have to be a bit wider to be as strong as a chain drive. Maybe we'd better off with a larger, wider chain drive instead? Opinions?
                    Gotta love boost!

Comment

Originally posted by AaronGTR View Post
                      Interesting. Hadn't heard that before, but it makes sense. So anyone know where we could get a belt drive made?... or if there's even room for one in our front cover? I'd imagine a belt drive would have to be a bit wider to be as strong as a chain drive. Maybe we'd better off with a larger, wider chain drive instead? Opinions?
                      I had considered trying to do something with the timing chain set-up but didn't see much of a demand for it. And with my time being limited for new products, I just tossed it to the side for now. As you said, TC cover clearance is the issue and a belt would most likely have to be considerably wider to handle the load.
                      MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                      '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                      http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                      http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

I ran the PJ gears on a 383 stroker TPI engine for years. I heard about the potential for interference with the knock sensor but I don't think I ever experienced it having run against and beat a ~96 cobra on NOS, while they were in the engine.

There is a standard cut and an extra noisy cut for the mock blower whine, maybe that's where the real potential for trouble comes in. I liked the way they sounded in my car and installed them for integrity and resistance to wear over the years. Not sure I would care for them in my Fiero given how close they would be to the cockpit and on an interference engine a belt is out of the question for me.

Comment

I was under the impression that the whole point of a gear drive is to reduce the loss of horsepower and torque transference from the crank. Wouldn't a belt drive increase the loss and result in even less HP at the wheels than a chain?

Comment

Originally posted by dnalbach View Post
                            I was under the impression that the whole point of a gear drive is to reduce the loss of horsepower and torque transference from the crank. Wouldn't a belt drive increase the loss and result in even less HP at the wheels than a chain?

This has nothing to do with driving the wheels. We are talking about the chain that turns the camshaft from the crank. The chains are prone to stretching over time and eventually breaking. A gear or belt drive would be stronger.

Now that I think about it I'm not so sure a gear drive would cause problems with the knock sensor. After all the knock sensor looks for a specific frequency of vibrations to indicate detonation in the cylinders, so just having more gear noise wouldn't set it off. It would only happen if the gears where making noise in the correct frequency and depend on how much it was tranferred into the block thru the cam and crank. It's probably one of those things where there's no way to know unless someone makes one and tries it.
                            Gotta love boost!

Comment

Originally posted by dnalbach View Post
                              Belt drives have been used in professional racing for years. It's the preferred method over a chain or gear drive.

Also you can get belts that are pre-stretched. So when they are installed you won't have any drift in your timing. Plus you can get them made for "wet" applications.
                              Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Working...
                              X