doing LIM gaskets - what about these pushrods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doing LIM gaskets - what about these pushrods

I assume I loosen the bolt at the top of the push rod, on the rocker arm??? How much torque do I tighten it back to??

And - can i use just about any degreaser to clean the gasket mating surfaces? I was gonna do simple green and then maybe a final wipe with rubbing alcohol.

1995 3100.

Thanks.
    brian

You'll need torque specs and sequence for the LIM, and UIM too. If you don't have a chiltons repair manual/etc perhaps someone can chime in..

I would clean the surfaces by hand with a scotch brite pad, or putty knife if you must but be carefull aluminum is soft. Then wipe it down with brake cleaner as it won't leave a residue.

Simple green doesn't evaporate clean it's water based. Unless you are talking about taking off the LIM and blasting it clean away from the car or something.

Felpro has a metal LIM that are more durable than the plastic oem style offerings. Should last forever. for a 95 3100 P/N would be: MS98004T Just incase you want to go that route. Any major parts store should carry it.

About the new metal gasket: "The new Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus gasket features a high-strength aluminized steel carrier that is edge molded and encapsulated with a proprietary fluoroelastomer (FKM) material. In addition, the new gasket features three separate sealing beads around coolant ports to ensure a long-lasting seal under any situation. Other key design features of the new Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus design are stainless steel load limiters and integral locator pins molded into the FKM material. The existing part numbers this can be substituted for is MS90562 and MS95536."

Oh and make sure you take a piece of card board, write which push rods go where, and poke them through it. Mix up those rods and you'll have a nightmare on your hands like a couple of people who posted about it recently.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Thank you. Those fel pro perma drys are what i bought. I think i am set on torque for all other fasteners.

Just need to know how to remove push rods and how much torque to put the rocker arm bolts back on with. Yes I've been warned the exhaust and intake push rods are differing lengths.

Thanks.

Comment

You just loosen the bolt on top of the rocker, it loosens up swing it to the side, and pull the rod out. I'd mark them and put them exactly where they were. That is don't mix up 2 exhaust rods. Even though they should work I like putting them back where they were.

Updated torque specs for the manifolds.

If I can remember later today when I go to the garage I'll look up the rocker arm torque specs. You re-install and torque down to a certain value.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

10ft-lbs +30º
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i tightened my rockers with my human torque wrench lol, there good to go
            sigpic

1993 Cavalier Z24, 3.1/3400 hybrid, crane 272 cam, LS6 springs,port and polish,2.5 exhaust to 80 series flowmaster,solid mounts

Comment

Working...
            X