No announcement yet.

Hybrid still not running right:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive seen the map in most pics sitting face up, this way mine would be flipped up, i'll figure something out lol

thanks again
    sigpic

1993 Cavalier Z24, 3.1/3400 hybrid, crane 272 cam, LS6 springs,port and polish,2.5 exhaust to 80 series flowmaster,solid mounts

Comment

ok i found a prob my map connector one of the wires was frayed/old/rotted/who the hell knows, but it broke right off it was so bad, so maybe thats a reason it had probs running?haha so hopefully i got a extra connector laying around cause i thought i did.
      sigpic

1993 Cavalier Z24, 3.1/3400 hybrid, crane 272 cam, LS6 springs,port and polish,2.5 exhaust to 80 series flowmaster,solid mounts

Comment

Ding Ding Ding!

That could be the root of your problems. The map sensor is the key to "speed-density". lol

Fix it and let us all know.

Joseph

1987 Fiero SE/Fastback - 3500 Turbo / OBD1 / '92 FWD Getrag 282

Comment

ok this is what i came up with since i can't get to the yard this weekend and work will be crazy so i'll be mixin lots of paint next week so who knows when i will be able to get to a yard, incase anyoen had a connector let me know

but my buddy soldered filled the holes with high temp silicone

comments lol

i know its so ghetto
          Last edited by Syn; 07-07-2006, 10:15 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

As long as it works, I guess. Did you make sure all the leads are connected before filling with silicone?

Put it on and see if it solves your problems.

1987 Fiero SE/Fastback - 3500 Turbo / OBD1 / '92 FWD Getrag 282

Comment

fo sho everything was soldered in nicely. just a temp fix, i got like 4 or 5 maps sitting here so i figured what the hell. tomorrow or sunday i should be fireing it up
              sigpic

Comment

ok started it, runs alot better EXCEPT the idle was bouncein up and down for a min maybe to find a set idle then after it was running it would all asudden die after like a few mins but fires right up the a/f gauge is reading stoich some times the first bar in stoich and sometimes the last bar and occasionally into the 1st bar of rich. i am thinking its the ghetto map plug in maybe? also i think this because i drove it and when i would try to give it more the 1/4 throttle it would bog/studder, and if i tryed to floor it while idleing it would bog out. but it had a good amount of more go when driving it around with 1/4 throttle, just anything more and it would bog/studder

also driving it staid basically last bar of stoich 1 to 2 bars into rich

ideas?

tomorrow i should have the data log done as well as a new map sensor plug in, i am gonna pull the pins out of the old plug and solder a new wire onto the pin then it will be good to go
                sigpic

Comment

Crimp the pins over the new wire, and then add solder. Do it right and good so you can rule out that as your problems. Did you swap injectors now? Funny the MAP connector (green plastic on mine) always breaks and is brittle. All other connectors are black and don't break. I was out at a mechanics place looking for a 1/4 npt tap (his endup missing so no go) and saw on the ground a MAP connector with black plastic and like 7" of wire just trash. I could of picked it up, but didn't since I'll be using a different new small style map.. So I guess I'll be painting my manifold tommorow and get it tapped on monday when the cheap tool store is open.
                  sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                  1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                  16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                  Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

edited 'cause there's no need for me to be an ass here.

Comment

tractorman i saw what u wrote , and it made no sense so be a ass if you wish, but theres no need for it take your bullshit elsewhere

and 15 h/p wtf are u talkign about? swapping different parts from a diff motor? you mean cause i went hybrid. i think is more then 15 h/p buddy but whatever

the new injectors are in yes
                      sigpic

Comment

I made an assinine (though not incorrect) post, thought better of it, and removed my comments. But what the hell? If it's an arguement you WANT...

I frankly don't care if you may someday get 15 or 50 horsepower out of these mods- assuming you ever get the car running right. I think this site does a severe disservice to young, impressionable, and inexperienced kids by touting this "hybrid" setup, along with other assorted modifications. The 3100 is a perfectly good engine, as is the 3400. If ya'll really WANT more performance, a complete 3400 swap will be cheaper (in the long run), more reliable, and more powerful. I think this board (along with lots of others) just goes to show that you're just askin' for problems when you try to re-engineer an otherwise good engine.

That said, I don't see the point in modifying a 60-degree V6 anyway. It doesn't matter how much money and time you pour into it, it's still a cheap, little V6. I know that some folks with thousands of dollars and way too much time on their hands have made a RELATIVELY fast car with a 60 degree V6... bu they could have spent less money and far less time had they just gone down to the local car lot and bought a 10-year-old mustang or something.

These engines are inexpensive, reliable except for a few well-known problems, and get good fuel mileage. Why mess with a good thing?

Comment

good argument but, i went hybrid cause 3400's are scarece here and are around a 1k, i bought a turbo 3.1 engine sold the top end and turbo and ect and broke even so i don't see that being bad.

also i have a firebird formula i am not dumping lots of money into this car if i wanna go fast i know what car to go to lol
                          sigpic

Comment

so i figured today i just put my new window motor in which was a piece of cake i might add, i'll start it up. start it its idleing real good, i take it out of the storage unit and go to drive it, the gas gets really touchy and i am thinking whoa whats going on cause i'd tap the gas and it would burn out. so i take it around the storage unit crusein expecting it to bog out i give it a lil more then 1/4 thorottle is just takes off and shoots to 5k, i shif it burns 2nd pretty impressivly and i let off to turn cause it was the end of the isle

now i can say this it feels liek my saturn did with 10psi

so shes getting there

but when i took her back to the unit she'd die at idle and it would take me haven to give it gas to start it, *confused* but i am getting the map plug in tomorrow
                            sigpic

Comment

haha pretty cool when your car makes the tires spin and your response is "wtf thats not normal" hahaha. Get all dodgy connections fixed and hopefully your greamlins will be gone. Did the A/F give you any clues when it started acting up? Did you do the motor swap in the storage unit? Someone needs to offer "rent a garage" service for us!! hehe
                              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                              Original L82 Longblock
                              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

not sure whta you mean on the a/f part, or maybe i am haven a brain fart right now lol. but all i can say is it was insanely lean at idle with the 3.1 injectors and now its not its stoich. so i could assume the 3.1 injectors wern't enough and by the butt dyno when driving lol.

yeah i did the swap in the storage unit since i have no garage and can't have many cars at my house(3 already in the driveway) so i stored it outside there since u can store stuff outside and when i was ready for the swap it was the beginning of spring which was perfect cause i just pulled my formula out of that storage unit. it didn't take long to do but with doing everything myself it takes time. but i like it this way so i know things are done the way they should be.

i can post pics if interested
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X