Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you tell a 3400 block from a 3100 block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you tell a 3400 block from a 3100 block?

How can you tell a 3400 block from a 3100 block without measuring the bores?
    In the junkyard, I frequently come across 3100/3400 engines that do not have the upper plenum attached, but still have the haeds on them. I thought that all 3400 blocks had a big "B" cast into the side. I found out that I was wrong when I brought one home and found it was a 3100.
    How can I recognize a 3400 block without the heads off?

3100 blocks have the B, 3400 blocks have the A. Where does it say the other way around? It may be possible that it doesn't mean anything but I have 98 3100 and 3400 blocks here and thats how they are.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

3400s have a letter A cast into the block. ALL of them.

Comment

Originally posted by sappyse107
        3100 blocks have the B, 3400 blocks have the A. Where does it say the other way around? It may be possible that it doesn't mean anything but I have 98 3100 and 3400 blocks here and thats how they are.
        I never read it anywhere, I thought that I had just observed that 3400s had the "B" and 3100s had the "A". It is very possible that I just had a senior moment and got it mixed up.

Comment

Originally posted by sappyse107
          Hmmmmm. I just went in the garage and looked at my blocks.
          I have two 3100 blocks. One has the "B" cast into it. This is the one that I mistakenly thought was a 3400 block.
          The other has neither an "A" or a "B" cast into it. It came out of a '98 Olds avhieva.
          My 3400 block is still at the machine shop. It turned out to be cracked.
          Ben, would you like to sell me one of your 3400 blocks?

Comment

I don't think the 3100 started getting the "B" until 2000, but the 3400s have always had the "A".
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I payed attention on my last trip to the junkyard. I saw another 3100 with no letter cast into it. I also saw a 3100 with a "G" cast into it.

Comment

learn the vin code, that way you can peek and run
                If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven
                  3400s have a letter A cast into the block. ALL of them.
                  Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Just to add to the letters, the 3500s have a "C".
                    -Brad-
                    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                    sigpic
                    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
                    X