Adding a DOHC windage tray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a DOHC windage tray

I read that the DOHC's windage tray will fit 3.1s, as long as you have the 3.4 main bolts/studs. Does anybody have GM part #s for the bolts or studs I need?

I came across this topic and think I might have the right numbers, but I want to be sure (I also don't know how many I need. I know the 3.1 mains are all bolts but I don't know what's needed to add the tray - is it still 7 studs and 1 bolt?)

I'm doing a rebuild on my '90 TSTE. Rod bolts are supposed to be replaced right? and nuts? Does anyone have the GM part numbers for these as well? I'm not interested in ARP, the GM bolts have been doing just fine for 16 years and they're not going to be submitted to 400hp or anything any time soon...

Thanks!
    -Tony | gtsdurango.net
    '04 Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 - the gas guzzling DD.
    '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - ehh.. I'm working on it.
    '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5.2010
    '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6.15.2005

anybody?
    -Tony | gtsdurango.net

Comment

hi, here is my input.

i have resused/retorqued the stock rod bolts/nuts on 3.1 and 2.4 4cyl. no failures yet but the guys who like to do it properly would probably say you need to replace them. depends on the application i gues.. you are also supposed to replace your head bolts but ive gotten away with re-using them atleast once. (after that its time for a new set, or a set from a fresh motor). again the guys who do it proper will probably cringe for saying this but this is what i have done and havent seen a failure from it.

for the windage, why not use a 3100 windage over the dohc? is the windage differnt? and you will probably need the main studs with nuts to hold the tray on (sory i dont have the part #). nor do i know how many you need... sorry thats all the info i have for u

Comment

3x00 windage tray doesn't fit a DOHC or gen 2 motor without modification. Easier to just use the DOHC windage tray on these motors. You should replace the rod bolts and caps, main bolts, and head bolts. I dont have part numbers for them though but a dealership can get you the numbers.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

replace the rod bolts "AND CAPS"????

isnt replacing the caps a little extreme, or did you mean something else, i mean if you are meant to replace the caps each time how is this any different than any of the other parts, such as the heads, oil pan, etc...?

these of course can be removed indefinately without being replaced, what makes the caps so speical? unless you meant something else.

let me know

Comment

I meant the rod nuts with the bolts. I thought those were referred to as caps.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

thanks for the input guys. anybody have a clue on the going rate through the dealership (or GMPD?)? no way I'm shelling out the cash for ARP everything.. this motor's not going to be making any sort of power where I'd be worried about ripping bolts apart...
              -Tony | gtsdurango.net

Comment

Working...
              X