Valve guide failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve guide failure

Can a worn/ dropped valve guide cause a "skip" in an engine?

Juts had heads installed, mechanic is claiming engine is "skipping".

They're supposedly running a few tests recommended by the GM tech line, but they say they are are all but sure it's a valve guide failure.

Is this B/S or could it be true? I would imagine a dropped valve guide would be making quite a bit of noise (and damage) sitting on the bottom of the valve.

I'm $2500.00 into repairs for this car- a 2001 Monte LS w/ 3400 and 55,000 miles. Getting ready to scrap it.
    2001 Monte Carlo LS, 3400, DHP V1 PCM, Milzy Motorsports Fenderwell CAI, Dynomax exhaust, VDO Guages, DIY shift kit, Eibach Prokit springs, ADDCO swaybars, 18\" KMC wheels, SS appearance package.

What were the repairs that were performed?

Is it possible that the machanic may have scewed up putting the pushrods back in the engine? On this engine (and all genII or GenIII engines) have diffrent leangth pushrods, if they were swaped you would most deffinatly have a bent valve somewere that would cause the engine to "skip" really bad. Have him do a commpresion test to identify witch cylnder is cause the problem.

Comment

Do the rockers have torque specs on this motor? (i'm not sure, havent got into it yet) Or do they have to have the lash adjusted? Cuz if they need to be adjusted and havent (or are adjusted wrong) that would make a pretty good skip or miss, if it even ran at all.'

But if you scrap the car, how much you gonna scrap it for?
      97 Cavalier RS
      3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

Checking on torque specs.
        2001 Monte Carlo LS, 3400, DHP V1 PCM, Milzy Motorsports Fenderwell CAI, Dynomax exhaust, VDO Guages, DIY shift kit, Eibach Prokit springs, ADDCO swaybars, 18\" KMC wheels, SS appearance package.

Comment

Push rods were not swapped.

14 lb ft on the rocker arms. No lash adjustment.

Thanks,
          Jim P.

Comment

Broken Valve Guide

This would still cause a commpression issue would it not?

Comment

Picked up the car this afternoon.

Car was running like shit.

Germ from DPP had me look for bad connections.

Sure enough, the "skip" was caused by a connector hanging freely that goes to the coil pack.

Car runs great now.

If ever in RI, do not bring your vehicle to WAYNE'S SERVICE PLUS, in Providence.

It's "Service Plus an ass-rape".

This guy was ready to charge me another $1000 to rip off the head and repair the fictional valve guide problem. Moron.

Thank you guys for your input on this.

Jim P.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP70
                Picked up the car this afternoon.

Car was running like shit.

Germ from DPP had me look for bad connections.

Sure enough, the "skip" was caused by a connector hanging freely that goes to the coil pack.

Car runs great now.

If ever in RI, do not bring your vehicle to WAYNE'S SERVICE PLUS, in Providence.

It's "Service Plus an ass-rape".

This guy was ready to charge me another $1000 to rip off the head and repair the fictional valve guide problem. Moron.

Thank you guys for your input on this.

Jim P.
                Figures. Most of the places in Providence are pretty sketchy anyway.. but hell, even the chain places like Pepboys are no better around here..

some people wonder why I refuse to bring my car to a shop
                -Tony | gtsdurango.net
                '04 Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 - the gas guzzling DD.
                '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - ehh.. I'm working on it.
                '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5.2010
                '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6.15.2005

Comment

Working...
                X