2nd Gen 660 wont go over 4k at WOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen 660 wont go over 4k at WOT?

I saw this posted on streetfire. I put a comment up that I thought it was a bad Knock sensor because of how mine was acting when it didnt like the 3400 knock sensor (or, not having one at all) I'm pretty sure that the problem has to be ignition related. Anyone else have any idea?

here's a link
    97 Cavalier RS
    3400, Isuzu MK7

holy ignition retard

wow, i would start with the knock sensor, if its the wrong one or not there its going to pull 30* timing iirc.
    got zap-straps?
    89 Z24
    13.886 @ 96.16 mph
    street trim - slicks

Comment

Yeah, I suggested that in the comments box. Mine did that with the 3400 sensor and with the KS unhooked. 40 bucks and an autozone later, it was excellent. Cept... It looks like his motor is unloaded when it's doing that. Mine would easily hit the rev limiter in neutral.
      97 Cavalier RS
      3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

yea this is my car...im going to be buying a knock sensor tonight...no idea when im going to be able to get it installed as it will be snowing like a mofo here the next couple days and i have no garage...are there any other suggestions by chance?

Comment

i am also a member on V6Z24(obviously)

*EDIT* forgot to explain the link, that is my thread over on V6 about this problem

Comment

First. I see Manitou Beach is in 2 different places in MI. (Strange, but it happens) Are you closer to Ann Arbor, or Traverse City? It'll be snowing here too for the weekend, and that keeps me from doing a wheel bearing.

Anyways. I suggested a knock sensor being bad cuz my 3400 liked to do that. However I could still get to redline with the engine unloaded. (Neutral) And first gear. 2nd gear it would only get up so far and die out, kinda like yours is doing. 1st problem was having a 3400 Knock Sensor on a 3.1 ECM, and 2nd problem was having the knock sensor unhooked. But at WOT it would still hit the rev limiter. Maybe it did it cuz the 3400 is more powerful and can spin itself there faster, I dunno.

Though, mine would immedietly throw out Code 43. In a perfect world it should do that. But maybe it's not seeing the sensor as bad, maybe it's seeing a whole bunch of knock and it's turning back the timing trying to protect the engine. Or, the circuit could be bad inside the ECU. I do have another ECU laying around, but I dunno if the wiring is the same for it.
            97 Cavalier RS
            3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

new ECU...ummmm...i live down by ann arbor...i bought the new knock sensor last night...going to have my stepdad bring my car into work tomorrow to replace it...and goign to see if that fixes it

Comment

Cool. I'm a lil ways south of Toledo. Probably about the same distance you are, just... on the other side of the state line.

If it's not the KS, then the only thing I can think of it being is a bad ground on the ICM, or the ICM just being dead completely. An ECU I have sitting around, the ICM though, I dont.
                97 Cavalier RS
                3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

Originally posted by SHOoff
                  Cool. I'm a lil ways south of Toledo. Probably about the same distance you are, just... on the other side of the state line.

If it's not the KS, then the only thing I can think of it being is a bad ground on the ICM, or the ICM just being dead completely. An ECU I have sitting around, the ICM though, I dont.
                  i have replaced both :P ...ok so far i have replaced: fuel pump, filter, TPS, ICM, ECU, plugs, wires, O2 sensor, coils, MAP sensor...i believe there is more...just cant think of them right now

Comment

Well, then hopefullly it's the knock sensor that's the problem then. Unless it's actually seeing a real knock. Which, would be a very bad thing.
                    97 Cavalier RS
                    3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

well...i replaced the sensor...and its the same thing...so if it is a knock...as soon as the motor goes...im already saving up for a 3400...and hopefully i'll be good to go with the 3400

Comment

Hmm..... well, sorry I was wrong. There was a CPS suggested somewhere above. But who knows. If you're going to get a 3400 though, make sure you save the 3.1 KS and use it in the 3400 motor, otherwise you'll have the same problem. (I found out from experience)

3400 is very rewarding anyways.
                        97 Cavalier RS
                        3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

could the CPS be causing this...like..i thought the cps would make the car not run...and it runs fine, just wont rev

Comment

CPS was suggested in your post on V6Z24. He gave a reason.

From the sounds of it, you've got enough wrapped up into repairs that the extra for a new CPS prolly aint gonna make a lot of difference.
                            97 Cavalier RS
                            3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

Working...
                            X