No announcement yet.

Can I put 95 3100 intake on 2000 3400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I put 95 3100 intake on 2000 3400?

First off you must be asking why would anyone do such a thing, to appease the california smog gods. I lost the #5 piston in my 3100 years ago and found a 3400 in the wrecking yard with only 20K on it and put it in. The EGR was wrong so I thought I would change the computer. ROFL. Take 2, I made an egr adapter. It passed smog twice in 4 years but this time the same shop noticed that it said 3400 in 2" high letters accross the intake. go figure.

I spent today at the referee and he said that if I put the 3100 intake on so that the egr is mounted correctly They will accept it as an engine change.

When I went to the dealer for gaskets there are 3 different sets, 2 for the 3100 and 1 for the 3400.

Does anyone know what combination will work? This is do or die time, i get to have her crushed if I can't solve this. (darn, just put a new tranny in it also)

you can 1-up them and get a '99+ 3100 upper intake, or even better, a 3400 intake from the early minivans that's BLANK! You're going to have too many issues getting the old style 3100 upper onto the newer 3400 lower. the older style uses 12 mounting bolts vs 6, and the ports are way different to the point that you may not get a good seal at the mating surface (overlapping)
    Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
    3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
    Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
    2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
    TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Thanks, is Do you know when they stoped using the digital egr? (3 coil) the whole point is to mount the egr without the little block of aluminum I made. (unbelievable that because the egr is mounted to an adapter to the same hole, it is illegal)

It is obvious I need to clarify this question.
      Not the upper, the lower and upper as a unit. the whole point is to mount the 95's digital egr to something stock to get it smogged. The adapter I made causes a failure without testing.

Comment

95 was the last year the digital EGR was used. OBDII computer systems were made with linear EGRs in mind and all vehicles had to use OBDII in 96.
        1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Thanks, that pretty much cinches it. I have to put the 3100 lower and uper intake on it

Is there anyone making a performance intake for the 3100 that is smog approved?

I was on phone today with all departments of BAR and california air resources board. While it is totally out of the question on this buggy, I can see where the $3500 FTP cycle test is not too bad. If for example you had a performance setup you wanted to sell and it would smog ok, that is how you "prove" it.

Comment

I don't know what type of adapter you made, but this site (Ben) sells an adapter to put a '90-95 EGR onto a '96-99 manifold (I'm using it at the moment). It's a piece of aluminum less than 1/2" thick that's sandwiched between the manifold and EGR. It is BARELY visible, to the point where it looks like part of the EGR. I would go with a blank '96-99 upper manifold off a 3400 OR a '99 only 3100 with the larger ports *if* you can find it, and use that adapter, and go to a different inspection station that doesn't know you. But whatever ya gotta do.
            Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
            3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
            Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
            2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
            TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Working...
            X