3.1 fuel economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 fuel economy

help me get better mileage from this beat ass 3.1.... This car has been sitting for the last three years. it died from a bad fuel pump and I replaced it with a used one with a new fuel sock. never drove it afterwards because it was spewing fuel vapor out the tail pipe.

some info

1990 6000 SE AWD 3.1 auto

*109k miles
    *100 miles and 11.8 gallons of gas
    *code 33 I believe is low map voltage or something
    *intake has a vac leak
    *new plugs stock delcos
    *new wires $20 autozone jobbers
    *misc new sensors
    *slightly used new cat
    *runs bad (stumbling/rich) on trips to the store/when its started when warm for 30 secs then good idle returns
    *coil packs/ign module i believe are fine it doesnt run bad except for initial warm startup.
    *hesitates when warm on stop light take offs dies intermittently, starts back up and runs perfect.

I'm gonna change the intake gasket tomorrow, and I ordered some taylor wires to replace the cheapy autozone wires. One thing I havent touched yet is the EGR. Its oddly the old vacuum style egr like normally is on pre 88 MP's. I might try and replace that and try and patch up any other vacuum leaks. I also think i need to change the fuel filter I'm not sure when that was done last.

If anyone has any words of advice please help. I can't stand the way the car smells and I really dont think its safe to drive because of carbon monoxide.
    Stephanie
    92 GTZ ~SupermoddedW41GTZ~

33 MAP sensor voltage was too high for 4.8 seconds when throttle angle was less than 2%

Definately fix the vac leak. Then clear out the codes. If the code comes back, it's probably a bad MAP sensor.

Fuel filter, never a bad idea when you've just gotten a car. Unless, of course, it's a new one
    97 Cavalier RS
    3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

EGR on these older cars will not make the vehicle get worse mpg. I have a vac EGR as well on my cav and it is stuck open a hair and I got a 3 mph increase.

Test fuel pressure. Bad o2, sticky fuel injectors, bad fuel regulator....worse case out of timing, Worn timing chain and gears, worn valve train.
      I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

well my mileage went up a little i've got 110 miles its above around 1/4 tank. my taylor wires came in so i'll probably put them in tomorrow. its definetly stumbling with a load too so those autozone wires are probably junk. I got a great deal on those taylors $24- $32 shipped. I'll try the obvious things like tire pressure and air filter new 02.
        Stephanie

Comment

It is also a awd, this alone will decrease gas mileage. Depending on how expensive it is to you, I would replace the ICM and all the coils, possibly even a crank shaft position sensor.

A bad fuel reg can cause a rich condition, a tps can have dead spots. If and when it is hard to start do you get smoke out of the muffler.
          I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

yeah I get plumes of black smoke for a second from the tail pipe. I've replaced the fuel rail and injectors twice. I'll check the fuel pressure to be sure. if the ICM and coils are bad wouldnt it run bad all the time though?
            Stephanie

Comment

If it is studdering under load then get good wires on it and remove and inspect then clean the plugs. 90% of the time it is the plugs. Also your engine coolant temp sensor may be out of wack. If it is then it can cause a severly rich condition.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

where in the world did you find an AWD 6000? werent those only made for like 2 yrs?

Comment

i inhereted it from my boyfriend who has owned it for 6 years.
                  Stephanie

Comment

well I got r did today. those taylors will make any car run like new i've found. when i pulled the old wires off, every one of those wire plug ends came off I am never buying cheapies ever again. that and a few patched up vacuum lines and it runs like a champ. yay i'll have to see what it gets this tank of gas. thanks for the suggestions everyone.
                    Stephanie

Comment

Working...
                    X