Smells bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smells bad

I've noticed my car smells like rotten eggs. And when I shut the car of there is a TON of ticking tipe sounds under the car. What causes that stanky smell, Its like rolling around in egg salad.

A rotten egg smell is usually from a bad catalytic convertor in the exhuast system. As for the ticking my only guess is thermal contraction of something metal that's getting hotter than usual. Could also be related to a the cat since cats get clogged from improper air/fuel mixes and lean conditions produce hotter exhaust. If that's the case then a bad O2 sensor could also be possible.
    1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

That's the cat burning up. Like stated above, probably from a bad fuel mixture. You're not having any sort of misfiring issues are you? What year/car, miles?
      97 Cavalier RS
      3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

it misses a bit and idles rough. Just had a tune up

Comment

Remove the cat and install a pipe in its place. Run the car. If it gets better inspect the cat. You should be able to see daylight when you look through the honeycomb structure. If not then its clogged and you need a new one.

You can also use a laser thermometer to test it. You should have hotter temps on the outlet side of the cat converter. It will be around 100*F hotter
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by hac_gagt
            it misses a bit and idles rough. Just had a tune up
            That's your problem. When it misfires it's gonna shoot gas right through the engine. That's all gonna end up in the cat. With the heat coming behind it from the rest of the cylinders, that gas is gonna get burned. In the cat. And eventually destroy it completely.

Get the misfire fixed, and it'll probably stop stinkin.
            97 Cavalier RS
            3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

Working...
            X