WTF is wrong with my 3.1!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is wrong with my 3.1!?!?!

Ok, this damn engine bay in general is about to get blowed up.
    A couple weeks ago my tranny DIED.
    Then within the same week;
    headlights burnt out (both lowbeams)
    rack and pinion seals blew
    HU fried
    Then the damn car won't start!
    I replaced the starter...nothing...
    checked all the relays....all good
    checked the pulleys to see if perhaps one seized...all good...

When i roll the key forward, everything goes right, except the car starting. I mean like same stuff as in the stereo cuts out (typical), lights dim (typical) all the typical symptoms...except the car starting! And when i roll it forward, NOTHING clicks. As if it's not even TRYING to start. BRAND new starter, all fluids are fine (just changed last week). The only thing that even clicks is the A/C relay...SO WTF is wrong!?!
    I'm pretty good with the 3.1...but now i'm just stumped...and i'm pissed cuz i just got subs in and there's a sound competition saturday!!!

PLEASE HELP!

RE: WTF is wrong with my 3.1!?!?!

Have you checked for fuel and spark? Cause without one of those, the starter can crank all day and nothing will happen... Kinda hard to diagnose when the basics aren't known.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Hmm...

Make sure the starter is seeing voltage, then test battery + alt.
      0M94$$r@p3tehn00b

That\'s right, repping the e-thugs of the world.

Comment

RE: Hmm...

Ahh, I read it wrong. I thought I saw that the starter was working. Yeah, there is a good chance the starter isn't getting any juice. Or if it is, the grounds are loose. Especially since you said the tranny was just replaced, the grounds might be a good place to start. Mine did this awhile back. There are 3-4 grounds attached to the tranny. If those aren't tightened down enough, the starter will not operate.

There is also a chance that a fusible link to the starter is blown.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Re: WTF is wrong with my 3.1!?!?!

Originally posted by GPRacer

...and i'm pissed cuz i just got subs in and there's a sound competition saturday!!!

PLEASE HELP!
          Get 2 batteries and push it to the comp. Problem solved!
          If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
          sigpic

Comment

Jump the solenoid with a screwdriver and see if it turns over. If it does you have an ignition switch or wiring problem. If it does not you have insufficient supply current or a bumbed starter.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Sorry for the last post. Except for the rack seals, everything else points to a grounding problem.
              If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RednBlackCutlass
                Sorry for the last post. Except for the rack seals, everything else points to a grounding problem.
                haha it's alright. I was kinda expecting it. I'm actually thinking about having it towed over there if i have a chance at some sweepstakes or something..

Anyway...the tranny has NOT been replaced yet! It shitted out, and i got another tranny for it, but it has NOT been replaced. As far as power, pretty much everything is good. I just ran 4gauge all over the place not too long ago...and i always go back and check the wires and they've been fine. I tried jumping the car, nothing. I guess i'll just run all new wire from batt to starter and alt and see what happens.

And i know the starter is good...hell i tried three different ones, two of which were brand new.
                I'm gonna look at it tomorrow and just replace all the wiring. I've got like a 100ft strand of 4gauge laying in my garage, so i'll just redo all the wiring and see what happens. I pray that it'll solve the problem! If not....anyone have a spare 3800 laying around?

Comment

Did you check all your fuses first?

Check teh fusible links in the wiring under the hood too.

Comment

checked all fuses and relays. All are good! even tried bypassing some to see if it'd have an effect.

I'm just gonna rewire everything...and if it doesn't work...then i'm off to find me a 3800

Comment

BOOOO!

Get a 3400

3400>3800

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou
                        BOOOO!

Get a 3400

3400>3800
                        Lol...well i'm more familiar with the 3800 as it is...plus a few other reasons i have in mind

Comment

Like using the harmonic balancer for a spare tire incase you need it? =)

Cliff Scott
                          89 BerettaGT
                          04 AleroGX
                          Cliff Scott
                          89 BerettaGT
                          04 AleroGX

Comment

wOOOOt! Got it goin!

I pulled off the coil packs, and replaced the ICM with another one that was for sure good. When the packs were off i sprayed/scrubbed down everything with a wrag and some electrical parts cleaner.
                            Went to start up...nothing...so once again i was like WTF?

So i figure..MAYBE just MAYBE a loose connection on the computer...hell at this point i was desperate. Well...i went to pull off the coolant resevoir...and i hear a gurgling sound...wtf...? I thought it drained all over my driveway...looked under the car, bone dry. Hmmmm.... Went to start it, started right up!!!

So i'm thinking perhaps the system was just overpressured and not letting the pump to, well, 'pump', thus probably freezing the pulley. That's the only conclusion i can come to based on the results....

moral of the story is my car is running!!!

Comment

arent cars gay lik ethat, probably coundt detect enough coolant and didnt want to ter itself up so it wouldnt start. i suggext a coolant flush to prevent future occurances of that nusiance
                              If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X