AHHH lost all the coolent and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHHH lost all the coolent and...

On my way home just now. I felt cold air coming from the vents and thought "oh shit!!! coolent leak". So I pull over and try to find the problem, dazed and pissed off I drive home anyway (about 8 minutes to go). I leave the emergency flashers on and drive about 130km/h ish in a 50 zone because I could see more white smoke and couldn't wait to get back home.

Well the engine makes it without any coolent, it didn't ping or knock or anything and didn't show signs that it overheated, despite the gauge showing waaaaaay more than the 125 red mark. I open the hood again and this time it kind of smells like burnt oil/grease and yet more smoke coming out. In a rush I climb up to my apartment and find a flashlight and a fire extinguisher (sp?).

I started to inspect this thing with a small flashlight and burnt myself in several places (it's 1:15am). I find this clean piece dangling off a wire, what looked like a 115V wire? So I get a ruler to push the piece around and finaly I'm able to grab it to take a closer look... know what? It's the damn block heater that popped out!? I hope it isn't too much of a PITA to fix?
    1991 Corsica 3.1L, 3 speed 100% stock.
    1989 Mustang 5.0, 5 speed not so 100% stock.
    I am Canadian eh? Quebec Canadian too...

update: it was easy to fix but if there is a next I'll wait for the exhaust manifold to cool down...

BTW I drove for a good 15 minutes without any coolent and the engine held it's own pretty good.

Comment

eek! So the "freeze plug" came out? If it's a factory block heater...
      Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
      3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
      Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
      2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
      TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Yeah not sure if it's factory though. I replaced it with a normal block heater. But the one that fell out was about 4" long and maybe 1.5" wide? It took me a little while to bleed all the air out of the system but it's running good again.

Comment

Working...
        X