Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 MPFI timing cover gasket & RTV...

yet another gasket/RTV question

my Haynes manual says to use a thin layer of RTV on both sides of the gasket...is this right? i was just going to use RTV around the coolant ports and the bottom ends of the gasket. i also noticed one of the bolts goes into a coolant jacket so i was going to use TFTE paste on it.

any advice/suggestions appreciated, thanks.
    '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo / Getrag HM-282 5-speed - 13psi / lightly modded
    '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - 180* T-stat, otherwise stock

GM W-body Forums

i just do what the book says. true there isnt really that much oil in there, and the coolant is the big worry. but what do you have to lose?
    If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

I never do and I have never had a problem. Gaskets are designed to seal themselves.

See the new list of specifications in the pushrod section. It will tell you what threadlocks to use when you reasemble. Or use red loctight it is the same.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

well i went ahead and used a thin coat of black RTV on both sides of the gasket, and used TFTE paste on the one bolt that goes into a waterjacket. i torqued the bolts in a crisscross pattern and set the smaller 10mm bolts to 20 ft/lbs and the 13mm bolts to 28 ft/lbs. here are some pics i took:

thanks
        '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo / Getrag HM-282 5-speed - 13psi / lightly modded
        '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - 180* T-stat, otherwise stock

GM W-body Forums

Comment

A light coating is all you need here. Looks good.
          I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

Working...
          X