Someone help me with this POS. 86 Celebrity 2.8 Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone help me with this POS. 86 Celebrity 2.8 Carb

I got a 86 Celebrity that im using for my winter car, wondering if anyone can help me out. 2.8 V6 Carbed.

When it hasnt been run in a while, you start it, and it will stay running albeit very rough like a "vroomvroomvroom....vroomvroomvroom" (lmao). after it runs for 2-3 minutes you have to give it a goose and then it will run good.

Also, for some reason, when you are low speed turning, if you turn the wheel more than like a half turn and tryy to say pull into a parking spot, it dies. starts right back up, but it dies. It does have power steering.

It also while running just sounds like it has a lopey cam in it. just doesnt run as smoothly as it should.

Also, i tried adjusting the timing on this thing, and i had two gloves on each hand (its cold) and i could feel the spark in my hand, if you know what i mean? Maybe i have a crappy dist, i dunno.

Today also i tried messing around with it som more, and it misses quite a bit. It goes down the road pretty good, and idles on its own, but it misses under load.

No CEL, no warning lights, has a new exhaust. I cant help but think that this is a fuel delivery/ignition issue, and i know zero about carburetors. Weird, i can tear apart a fuel injection system but know zip about carburetion.

Help! Need it fixed, its my only car atm, i cant drive my Mustang in the snow...

RE: Someone help me with this POS. 86 Celebrity 2.8 Carb

Is this the original engine? I thought '85 was the last year for the carbed 2.8's in the X and A-bodies...though I could be wrong.

First off, your comments about feeling the spark while adjusting the distributor tells me you need to do some simple tune-up stuff first....new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. This very well could be your rough running problem. After checking this stuff get a hold of a timing light and make sure the timing is set corrctly.

Unfortunately, the E2SE 2-barrel on these engines are junk..I fought several of them for years before succombing to EFI. One thing to check is the choke. If it is not getting battery power when the ignition is on, or is otherwise non-functional, it will not close the choke plate when cold, and will also not elevate the idle. Both of these things will cause rough running and/or stalling. To get the choke to set on a cold engine that hasn't been run in a while, before you crank it, punch the gas pedal to the floor and let off. This should garrantee the choke plate is closed and the hi-idle linkage gets set.

Marty
    '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
    '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
    '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
    '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
    Originally posted by Aaron
    This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

sounds good, ill give it a good tune up.

As far as the choke on this thing, i dont think it works. the terminal on it is rusted to hell and it was stuck open when i was working on it today and prolly had been for years, and i gave it a good tug to break it loose, and now i dont think it wants to open, cause it ran like holy hell today and died like 5 times until i strapped a bungee cord (all i had) to it to hold it open and get back home.

Comment

btw, is there a way to rig up a manual choke on this pile of crap?

Comment

Did tune up today, car runs 100 % better, albeit still a little miss or two which i think is a carb issue.

Comment

Working...
          X