'99 3400 - PS pump R&R question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '99 3400 - PS pump R&R question

my mom owns a black '99 Grand Am GT sedan with 54,000 miles. lately she has been noticing a grinding/rubbing noise so i checked it out. sure enough, it was the power steering pump making the noise. i checked the fluid and it was wayyyyy low....it didn't even show up on the dipstick! i had to add almost 1 pint of PS fluid and the noise seemed to go away. that was last week but now the rubbing noise is back. i looked around a little for leaks when i added the fluid but didn't see signs of any. i didn't actually get under the car to look so i'm going to check it over closer tomarrow.

how hard is it to swap out the PS pump? i think it is either the pump, high pressure line, or both may need to be replaced. i am not familiar with the 3x00s or N-bodies for that matter.

TIA
    '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo / Getrag HM-282 5-speed - 13psi / lightly modded
    '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - 180* T-stat, otherwise stock

GM W-body Forums

RE:

Check the return line, (under the car near the rack under the exh pipe) The Nbodies are prone to the Crimp fitting on the return fitting to blow off and then the line leaks fluid, The problem with them is that its hard to spot the leak as they have the silver heat shielding wrap around the hose so you have to sorta feel and pull back on the wrap.

I doubt it would be the pump. its gotta be a leak somewhere and I wouldnt doubt if its the return line, Just buy some new small hose clamps and repair it. Its just the crimp fitting that comes loose anyways.

The reason its making so much noise is that its low on fluid and the fluid is airated (sp?) (air mixed in with fluid, will make a P/S pump growl and groan)
    Colin
    92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
    90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

thanks Colin, i'm going to check the return line & everything else closely tomarrow. she called me today and said it had gotten worse and was now leaking. btw, when i added the PS fluid last week it was very airated & frothy looking.
      '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo / Getrag HM-282 5-speed - 13psi / lightly modded
      '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - 180* T-stat, otherwise stock

GM W-body Forums

Comment

Re: RE:

Originally posted by v6h.o.
        Check the return line, (under the car near the rack under the exh pipe) The Nbodies are prone to the Crimp fitting on the return fitting to blow off and then the line leaks fluid, The problem with them is that its hard to spot the leak as they have the silver heat shielding wrap around the hose so you have to sorta feel and pull back on the wrap.
        i looked at it closely today and you are exactly right. the return line is leaking from the crimp fitting near where it goes into the rack. i will be replacing it tomarrow. i think i'm gonna have to buy an 18mm stubby end wrench just to get in there though! i'll also have to disconnect the high pressure line just so i can get to the return line

thanks again i appreciate it.

GM W-body Forums

Comment

RE: Re: RE:

no worries.. Its my job to know these things.. dont know how many of those damn lines ive fixed/replaced over the years. ah well. they pay good.
          Colin
          92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
          90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

Working...
          X